HybridZ

Hand-Made Lamborghini Countach Built In Basement!

slownrusty

http://jalopnik.com/5065896/hand+made-lamborghini-built-in-basement-finally-sees-light-of-day

From the link:

"Seventeen years ago, Ken Imhoff watched Cannonball Run and became so enamored with the Lamborghini Countach in the film, he hand-built his own, in his basement. In what we imagine might be the most Jalopnik build ever undertaken, Ken designed and fabricated his own tig-welded frame, installed a thoroughly massaged 351 cubic inch V8 with a ZF-25 5-speed transmission, hand-formed the aluminum body over a meticulously measured and accurate body form, and finished it all off in a beautiful metallic gray. It took Ken 10 years to complete the project, and the results — as you can see both in the gallery and in the video below the jump — are amazing. There's only one problem, when you build a car in a basement — how do you get it out? Find out below."

Picture+31224534602.jpg

Picture+41224534616.jpg

Picture+11224534635.jpg

Picture+21224534650.jpg

Amazing!

Yasin

Why a countach? There are better cars that he could of tried to replicate :P.

Lust for the Countach is age dependant. Guys in their mid to late 30's and early 40's remember "Cannonball Run" and the Countach posters with the girls leaning on it. Usually it was on the wall next to the Led Zeppelin black light posters. You had to be there to understand. Of course beauty is always in the eye of the beholder.

Lust for the Countach is age dependant. Guys in their mid to late 30's and early 40's remember "Cannonball Run" and the Countach posters with the girls leaning on it. Usually it was on the wall next to the Led Zeppelin black light posters. You had to be there to understand. Of course beauty is always in the eye of the beholder.

Ohhhh Yeaaaa. I still love that car.

HA!! Dave - I resemble that remark......I can completely relate! Beautiful car. Now...on to fixing that hole in the house....

While I don't agree with the "100% accurate body" bit (very close, but I noticed some small differences), that is an incredible feat. Mid engined with wider than stock rubber, plenty of power, good suspension, awesome headers, wow. Still, what would it be registered as, and would it be road legal in the state he lives in?

Bingo!

Tom

...and I continue to be pulled to what I used to consider the dark side....Lamborghini. As a younger child I was always seeing Ferrari and up until last year, I always wanted a mid 90's Ferrari. But once I got my Z and saw the beauty of the Lamborghini yellow that was on it, I have shifted to Lamborghini...

While I don't agree with the "100% accurate body" bit (very close, but I noticed some small differences), that is an incredible feat. Mid engined with wider than stock rubber, plenty of power, good suspension, awesome headers, wow. Still, what would it be registered as, and would it be road legal in the state he lives in?

Yes. its perfectly legal. It would get a kit car status, and most likely would have to be sniffer tested once.

They could of changed the IM regs for kit cars, from last I looked and this is for the state california, so most other states are more lenient.

Unbelivable craftsman. I cannot believe he is still married at this point.

I actually had the chance to drive an older Countach a year ago. It had come thru a friend of mines body shop and the owner was cool enough to let me go for a spin.

It was very difficult to drive. The clutch was an absolute monster to push in, very heavy. I stalled it 3 times due to the high gear ratio. I also had no leg room at all (little Italian guys, Ciao Bella) since I am 6' tall. Also you cannot see out of this thing at all. The only way to feel comfortable in traffic was to accelerate into a space rather than try to merge into it.

But no problems with the acceleration with a V12. Since the motor is about a foot from your head, it sounds unf..king believable. Very addictive. I only got on it in second gear, but the thing goes like a scalded rabbit. Yes it hauls absolute ass. Very, very fast. And talk about a head turner, everywhere people would stare and point, also very addictive.

Lucky enough to have had the experience, and won't ever forget it.

Couldn't have said it better myself, but for me it was the 427 Cobra in Gumball Rally that caught my attention.

Every generation has at least one movie like this, for my generation it was Gumball Rally, Cannonball Run and Corvette Summer for the generation before it was Bullet and Vanishing Point, for the current generation it's Fast & Furious.

Whether you like the Countach or not and whether it's 100% accurate or not you have to admit the guy did a great job!!!

Wheelman

Got that right! Was my dream car and always told myself "some day" You hit the age group right on the mark... just turned 44. I think I still have the poster too!

This thread had me going through Youtube and watching a bunch of videos of shows that I watched growing up that had nice cars in them. Stingray, Magnum PI, Miami Vice, Dukes of Hazzard, Knigh Rider, ..... Lost a few hours of my life!! But it was great to revisit old memories. Funny how a lot of shows back then had cars in them.