HybridZ

Insainly noisey R200.

MoNkEyT88

I am getting a terrible noise, like a bad bearing, when there is no load on the rear end at higher speeds. +40mph.

It is only when letting off the throttle, or riding in neutral at above 40mph. It increases with speed, also.

Could this be due to excessive backlash. If it is the bearings, wouldn't I hear it at all times?

It sounds fine other than under those circumstances. :?

Pinion depth is set incorrectly.

I'm betting you removed / replaced the yoke? If so, the nut sets the pinion depth.

If it hasn't had time to develop an improper wear pattern, take it out and take it to a 4x4 or diff shop to get the depth set properly.

Only reason I know? I screwed up a 4.08 Skyline diff this way. :(

Pinion depth is set incorrectly.

I'm betting you removed / replaced the yoke? If so, the nut sets the pinion depth.

If it hasn't had time to develop an improper wear pattern, take it out and take it to a 4x4 or diff shop to get the depth set properly.

Wrong. The pinion nut does not set the depth. Depth is set by the shim stack underneath the pressed on bearing on the pinion head. Check the FSM if you have questions on this procedure. The R200 longnose diff also does not have a crush sleeve, so changing torque on the pinion nut does not affect pinion bearing preload.

In my opinion the backlash is very unlikely to be wrong. It doesn't change itself so unless the carrier bearings got screwed up somehow or somebody changed the backlash incorrectly it won't be wrong. The ball bearing at the front end of the diff just under the pinion seal is the likely culprit, they go bad a lot. You'll have to pull it apart to check for sure though; all the speculation is just speculation.

In thinking about this for another minute I think the 4.08 is a ratio that comes in the shortnose diffs. I think those shortnose units might have a crush sleeve. A crush sleeve doesn't set the pinion depth (unless you really don't crush it far enough), but it does set the pinion bearing preload, which may have been what you screwed up. This has nothing to do with the longnose diff though which is presumably what Monkey was talking about.

I believe it's a R200 LSD out of an 89-91 300ZX ?? It has the large cooling fins, and LSD.

Whoever put it in did a bad job modifying the bar for the rear of the LCA's. It's square tubing welded to the stock hacked up mounts.. I'll have to make something custom.

I don't know if it's a short or long nose, but it bolts into the stock location, so I'd assume that's short?