HybridZ

Running MSA Twice pipes with a turbo

24OZ

Hi all,

I'd like to do something a bit different and I was thinking of possibly getting the MSA twice pipes make a "Y" joint for my turbo downpipe and thus splitting the exhaust gases.

Has anyone done this? Anyone see any potential issues?

Appreciate your feedback.

I'd like to do something a bit different and I was thinking of possibly getting the MSA twice pipes make a "Y" joint for my turbo downpipe and thus splitting the exhaust gases.

Has anyone done this?

Since 1987...

The ubiquitous Trust/Greddy Header Exhausts were so everywhere in the JDM that when the Turbo Cars started into production, there was a pipe made to run from the Stock T3 turbo on a 65mm Diameter Downpipe, to their twin 50mm exhaust system (you know the one I always talk about being the copy of the Z432 System?)

I have had that system on my 73 240ZT since 1987, and have no issues with ground clearance at all.

So to answer the question, "Yes, Greddy/Trust did it back in the 80's"...

Allowed their existing product to have universal application, and flows almost as well as a 75mm pipe, without the packaging issues.

Hey Tony thanks for that. I did some searching and came across a thread you posted a while back about this setup. Good to know you endorse it!

I can't see myself finding a Trust/Greddy one but I will see if i can get something made up.

Many thanks.

Of all the places I stuck my Magnahelic and Digital Manometers while running pressure tests in my 240ZT, I never stuck it in the exhaust.

I really have to do that some time.

I plan on bumping my horsepower another 100HP when the car goes back together, and I figure the twin 50mm setup has been on there long enough, and it's time to put it on my Fairlady Z...

I picked up the mandrel bends and SS tubing to replicate the system in 2.5" tubing which should give me plenty of flow potential (yes yes, I know, John Coffee, "at the expense of weight and complexity") But I like the way the Greddy system hangs from all the stock hangers and doesn't bump anyplace, or hang down any more than a bone stock system does.

Plus, it's decently quiet. The system I'm going to replicate will likely be louder as the mufflers and resonator Greddy used was pretty heavy. Almost OEM specification stuff. Very durable. I mean, it was purchased new in 1978 by the original owner who put it on an HS30H (original Fairlady 240Z-G), who sold the car to the guy I bought the system from when he was upgrading to the Stainless Steel Greddy System (yeah, like $1750 in 1985!) Original muffler and resonator on it to this day.

Not a bad deal for a $40 used part! WOO HOO! New they were $700 in 1985.

Ask Alan Thomas, I'm sure he has a source...he has a source for everything! LOL

As always Tony, hearing your first hand experience is always welcome and appreciated.

One question, I was thinking of just running it with a rear muffler and missing the resonator, do you think it will be too loud? I keep hearing guys say that the turbos drone some of the noise. There is even a Turbo FAQ Sticky on this very website which recommends not using a resonator.

The front resonator on the Trust system is a 'common chamber' design, meaning that I suspect it has much the same effect as an 'X' pipe or crossover in the exhaust at that point. I think if that crossover was accomplished, you could go with one can out back. Or a pair of them.

It's not like it's hard to install/remove to do testing.

Don't know the effect or requirement of the crossover on the turbo application, but I know with the turbo on it the car is much quieter than when it was N/A, so maybe a double set of tubes back to a pair of cans in the back would be totally acceptable.

Of all the places I stuck my Magnahelic and Digital Manometers while running pressure tests in my 240ZT, I never stuck it in the exhaust.

I really have to do that some time.

:weird::nono::cuss::puke:

I mean really, this is supposed to be a PG-13 establishment, isn't it?? Your lucky I didn't include the last line from the post in the quote.:icon54:

:weird::nono::cuss::puke:

I mean really, this is supposed to be a PG-13 establishment, isn't it?? Your lucky I didn't include the last line from the post in the quote.:icon54:

Ask me how I know a fart from an onion-rich meal of multiple Philly Cheesesteaks and cheese has over 590BTU's.

Hint: 20 something Males. Analytical Test Equipment. Flatulent Propensities. Active 'Dare Culture' at work and a locking door on the loo...

Somewhere, there is an annotated Infrared GCMS of a fart entered into the logbook at an institution which shall remain nameless.

Curiosity never sleeps.:weird: