HybridZ

Finally made some progress/found some rust :S

So I finally get around to posting this... Work and my classes have kept me too busy to even post this. Over the summer I took a week off of work and my girlfriend and I tore into my z. Here are the photos. The tear down went well, but it looks like I have my work cut out for me now with the rust I found :S Where would the best place to start be? I was thinking the frame rails, but I'm not positive.

The beginning

DSC02384.jpg

Some progress, engine coming out

DSC02492.jpg

The end.

DSC03984.jpg

I have more photos of the progress and the rust on my harddrive at home Ill up load those later....

Where to start? That depends on how enthusiastic you are. You could either start poking and prodding, find rusty spots that need replaced. Then you'd order or make patch panels and weld them in. Or you could go further than that and have it media blasted to find all of the hidden swiss cheese. Any close up pictures or descriptions of the worst areas?

My advice to you is to have the car blasted while you have it stripped down that far. You'll regret not getting 100% of the rust while you had the chance later on ;)

...Over the summer I took a week off of work and my girlfriend and I tore into my z...

Hot damn, you've found a keeper!

My girlfriend detests my "rusty pieces of metal" that are my 240's. It's going to be a ton of fun to get her to ride around when I have no interior and a minimal exhaust!

I do have some close up shots of the worst rust... but I continue to forget to upload them :? I will remember one of these days... I was planning on having it blasted, but I'm pretty strapped for cash right now... So we'll have to see what I can afford... How much does blasting run? Could I just get specific areas done?

• 3 weeks later...

yeah, i was def going to have it blasted first... I just need some money first :S I will be reusing this shell as the back end is in great shape. The rear quarters are brand new and everything from the seats back on the floor is in great shape too. So its just the front that needs work. At least as far as i can tell now :S haha

Thanks. Yeah I just didn't want to toss it aside and go for something nicer... Working on it is at least half the fun.... I just wish I could have more time to work on it :S Maybe this summer I can get something done on it. Its just sitting there taunting me right now... haha Will it be structurally strong enough to media blast on a rotisserie? One person I talked to said that I may have to replace the frame rails before i put it on one. He didn't see the car though. I just gave him a description over the phone.

I'm fairly good with a welder. I did all the welding on my truck (1984 Toyota W/ Chevy springs rear, 3 inch lift springs up front, flatbed, 33x12.5 ssr's etc etc) I feel pretty comfortable with it and I have access to a nice MIG. The only thing that scares me away from doing a tube frame is the suspension geometry part... dont want to mess that up...