HybridZ

Wiring Products

Nismo280zEd

So I've been painfully collecting resources for my wiring project with my Z.

I'm trying to use weatherpack style connectors for all the connections in the car, I have my actual source for wire, but the connectors at a good price can be challenging. Also sourcing an ATC style fuse box.

Waytek has a mini ATC box that is sealed that I have been looking into using and they also sell the crimps, seals, and some connectors for the weather pack connections, however can somebody recomend other sites that are priced well?

-Ed

Hi Ed

I used these Hella fuse boxes.

http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=767

I used a 8 position inside the car that replaced my melted factory box then placed 4 and 6 position boxes in various locations on the car. As an example I have a 4 position box up front that fuses my headlights, auxiliary fan and A/C clutch.

Derek

Hi Nismo280zEd,

I tried using one of those ATC boxes. I found out they don't have a common "bus" for the set of fuses. That is, you have to make a separate power source for each fuse. (i.e. they are bunch of single fuses in one block). To make it work, I used a long screw to connect all the "top" terminals together and ran one power wire to it. However, I didn't like the looks of it all that much, and didn't feel it was as safe as it could be.

For a power supply, I saw one of Ron Tyler's posts and reverse-engineered his design (after consulting him first :wink:) and came up with this:

inside1.jpg

inside2.jpg

outside1.jpg

I use this as my main (75 amp breaker) power supply, then I can run a buss-bar off of one of the circuit breakers to other locations:

(Old photo just to give you an idea, I've totally reworked this area now)

another_mess.jpg

You can order all the circuit breakers, etc. from waytek.

Hope this helped...

Try to find a local electronics store, not Radioshack, but something commercial grade. I have a place I go where I picked up my ATC fuse box (for internal use) that has a common bus. That is, one power wire feeds all of the terminals.

As for the weatherpaks, you'll need to order those on-line. I thought about using weatherpaks, but my car never sees inclimate weather and I could not justify their cost right now.

Hugh, your wiring embarrasses mine!

Ed,

I purchased Hella electrial parts from the same company as Derek. I bought the fuse block and relay blocks. I thought the service was excellent when I called them.

Relay block:

http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=772

I bought it because it's possible to snap the relay and fuseblocks together.

Fuse block:

http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=771

As it's configured I now have 8 standard relay slots (3 are used for just the headlights) and 16 Fuse positions. I know I will not use that many fuse positions, but the 8 position in this form factor was very close in price, and I was after the ability to snap them together.

I am not terribly pleased with the relay block as the clips that hold in the female terminals do not seem all that secure. I chose them because the relay block and the fuse block will snap together, so I can expand it as needs grow.

I buy my weather pack connectors from Innovative wiring:

http://www.innovativewiring.com/PartsPage2/ElectricalConnectorPage.htm

Here are some pictures of the Fuse/relay block installed in the engine bay. I may change the location, but still not sure on that.

DSCN2385.jpg

DSCN2388.jpg

DSCN2390.jpg

DSCN2395.jpg

If I were to do it again I would probably mount the block in the interior of the vehicle. I would also not have fabricated the base plate from aluminum, rather I would have bought a cutting board from walmart and use that as plastic stock. I think that is a good idea anyway, but I would most likely test it to see how well it stands up to heat and how it burns.

-Robert

Not sure if its a good idea to place ellectrical components that can produce a SPARK next to the fuel lines & pump. you NEVER KNOW. someday the line might rip/break or a bit of gas of whatever is left over and BOOM gor yourself fire under the hood.

just a thought seen plenty of cars catch on fire on the freeway. oil & gas dont get along well with the smallest of sparks haha.

Not sure if its a good idea to place ellectrical components that can produce a SPARK next to the fuel lines & pump. you NEVER KNOW. someday the line might rip/break or a bit of gas of whatever is left over and BOOM gor yourself fire under the hood.

just a thought seen plenty of cars catch on fire on the freeway. oil & gas dont get along well with the smallest of sparks haha.

No laughing matter, my car burned up 5 years ago, thus one of the reason I'm looking to rewire it again. The first time I wired it was to get it going again asap. then I rewired to clean up and add some modifications, Now I have learned even more about wiring and want to do it a third time (and hopefully last time) Nice and tidy with fire retardent looms, I want all the fuses inside the car in one place, I hate going searching for relays and fuses when they go bad.

The 75amp power box you made is quite interesting and I like the cleanliness of it. I'm running a maxima alternator though... so I'm putting out a bit more than that.

I know pegasus auto racing has some cheap priced fuse panels as well with a central bus.

I'm running megasquirt right now with upgraded alt, headlights, additional interior electronics, electric cooling fans, etc.

I want to turn my Z back into my daily driver eventually, I miss it dearly. Thus reliability is a major concern, the weatherpack connectors have proved themself in the industry time and time again, I just want to make sure my fuse panel is just as reliable, no melting, overheating, corroding, etc.

Keep the ideas/ sources coming! I'm aware of most of the sites listed but I'm sure other members are not.

-Ed