HybridZ

260z sitting for 20 years

Yesterday i went to pick up my 260z. It has been sitting for 20 years in Colorado climate.... The person who owned it before me died and his brother let it sit in his farms field... I got my hands on it... I barly know were to start... I drained oil looked new surprisingly... did full tune up spark plugs, spark plugs wires. distributor cap, I took the headers off and blasted exhaust out to make sure i had flow... put sea foam in all 6 cylnders haven't put spark plugs in yet... But I could not get the motor to crank it is seized up, The guy told me it ran when it was parked... So I know there hope... WHat all can i do? I have taken the starter off pryed on the flywheel and the timing gear at differnt angels... The cam moves a little to the slack of the timing chain but the bottom end is seized... What all can I do? To get the motor unstuck?

The guy told me his brother bought the car brand new from the dealer... WIth the sports package or what ever for the better suspension... Is there any way to tell? And the car is a automatic how crappy are the automatics of this era...? is has bf goodrich tires p245 60r14... there huge and thick and bald as a slick... the front tire have a lot of tread just dry rotted.... the car has m ost of its emission off headers... dual sun roof. whale tail... Are the 260z fast? in comparsion to the 240 or 280...? Car has little to no rust just surface.... but has a front spoiler and wide stance in the back for the bigger tires... in the condition of the motor and every thign the odometer reads 26k.... which is belivable with the condtion of parts.... Is there anyway to tell once iget the motor to crank over? Sorry so many questions I am just figuring out what i got. Any information or help would be nice thank you :)

Realistically, you should probably pull the motor out and rebuild if it is seized. You likely going to need to anyway even if you get it unseized.

However, try this and see what happens.

I would get a good 27 mm socket and put it on crankbolt underneeth the fan. Get a big breaker bar with maybe a 3-4 foot pipe and see if you can get it to turn over. It may be easier to remove the fan all together to get at the bolt or decent extension. I always seem to cut or scrape myself on that thing!

It is possible the auto tranny is seized too. 20 years is a long time.

Your other questions you should read up on to answer. (Search)

Before you try forcing it, fill take the spark plugs out and fill the bores with a good amount of wd-40 or a similar agent. Let it sit for a day or so then try turning it over. It will wreck whatever oil is in the crank case though so once it is free you should probably change it. Do you have any pics of the car ?

Good Luck

Chris

Also of note, no 240, 260 or 280Z came with a sunroof from the factory. Aftermarket sunroofs aren't exactly known for good sealing abilities. That coupled with the 30+ year old weatherstripping on the car would have me looking at the floorpans to make sure the old carpet wasn't keeping moisture bottled up eating away at them.

Also, the 26k on the odometer could be 26,000 or 126,000. This was before million mile odometers.

I agree with everyone on here! I was going to buy a Z in Denver similar to that one you rescued, similar story as well (but different car) it had been sitting for 10years in long grass. It had a some great aftermarket wheels, flared arches (like yours) and an aftermarket sunroof and looked very rust free. Low and behold the crap aftermarket sunroof had leaked over the years and the carpet was very damp (first bad news)..then sure enough I peeled back the carpet and floors were all rotten - sadly. It was more of a project I wanted to tackle at the time.

If the motor refuses to turn over with a 27mm socket on a 1/2 breaker bar, you are looking at more than likely a seized engine. Look at the Denver Craiglist, there might have a listing for L6 running gear you could get for cheap.

There are lots of talented Z guys in Denver so you have lots of support and help locally.

Good luck to you. Cool rescue and you can tell someone spent alot of money on that car back in the day based on the integrated flares, the aftermarket wheels, the body kit and the sunroof (which I hate sunroofs on these cars).

Keep us updated.

Regards - Yasin

I got a running motor/trans/rearend combo you can have out of my 73' 240z 500$ ,but I won't be pulling it for another month. Pickup only at that price. If it was me though i'd just buy the conversion kit from jags that run and put you a smallblock chevy/turbo350trans combo in there. It will be much more fun than one of those cubic inch challenged 6 bangers.

Stewart

I hadn't seen this one before, but there is a product called Free-Eze from Lubegard that is marketed as "rusted cylinder treatment" that "frees up rusted/frozen cylinders". Thought you might look into that. I saw the bottle at the Lubegard booth at a convention this weekend.

BTW, the ground wire is usually routed from the battery down to one of the starter to block bolts.

I hadn't seen this one before, but there is a product called Free-Eze from Lubegard that is marketed as "rusted cylinder treatment" that "frees up rusted/frozen cylinders". Thought you might look into that. I saw the bottle at the Lubegard booth at a convention this weekend.

BTW, the ground wire is usually routed from the battery down one of the starter to block bolts.

I know aqbout the ground i hooked it up real wuick testing a starter... i'll wire it back onc ei have it running ha....