HybridZ

Help - Part No. For L28ET Engine Temp \ Coolant Temp Sensor - Pics

slownrusty

Hi Gang - I need to purchase a new Engine Coolant Temp Sensor for my L28ET. This is the one that goes to the ECU not the gauge, it sits closes to the head in the bottm half of the thermostat housing and has a bullet connector and 3/8 NPT threads. The green pigtail wire that comes out of the sensor on mine completely broke off.

It looks like this:

342340969.jpg

Mine..:(

342341519.jpg

Courtesy Nissan keep wanting to sell me the NA version (thermotime sensor with the double wire connector) which looks like this and they say they do not have a listing for the single wire engine coolant temp sensor that came on the L28ET (??):

Product-200871111275-s.jpg

I also tried NAPA and they were no help, they wanted to sell me the same sensor as Courtesy.

Can any of you help please?

Scratching my hair on this one.

Many Thanks - Yasin

• Administrators

Hi Yasin,

The early cars (pre '80) had the water temp sensor in the lower T-stat housing. In that application, the 33001 sensor Courtesy is trying to sell you would be correct.

Later cars (P79/P90) have the sensor at the base of the head, at the rear of cylinder 5, passenger side. Nissan changed the name to cylinder head temp. It serves the same functional purpose as the water temp. sensor. It differs slightly from the 33001 due to being a 'dry' sensor. I don't have that part number handy, but could dig it up if you need it.

Sooo, If the problem you're trying to solve is the broken wire... that is a water temp switch and, if memory serves, it runs the injector cooling fan in your application. If I get time later, I'll dig through the schematic to verify that's the only thing it runs.

i found this:

ACDELCO Part # E1884 {#19022029}

SENSOR,ENG COOL T/GA with BLADE TERMINAL; EXC. DIGITAL DASH

http://198.208.187.182/servlet/com.entigo.acdelcocatalog.servlet.ProcessImageServlet?languagecd=EN&countrycd=US&user=InternetUser&mfgname=null&prodlinecd=null&acpartnbr=E1884

and this:

AIRTEX Part # 1T1181

w/o Digital Gauge

1T1181.jpg

and this:

AIRTEX Part # 1T1182

GL Model w/Digital Gauge

1T1182.jpg

and this:

STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS Part # TS69 {TEMPERATURE SENDING UNITS}

with Mechanical Dash

or

STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS Part # TS495 {TEMPERATURE SENDING UNITS}

with Digital Dash

TS-69_FULL.jpg

i realize the bottom ones have no thread and might be slim-fit so that an open-ended pipe fitting can be place around it and sealed with teflon tape and thread sealer as well as thermostat silicone. Then the hilt on the sensor will abutt the pipe fitting so that it does not back out or leak.

at least that's what it looks like anyhow.

Yasin,

Disregard the part numbers above,

here is what you need:

croppercapture_33_829.jpg

croppercapture_36_256.jpg

RED is the Thermotime Switch (as ron suggested, and it is what you're looking for), and it is to control the rad-fan, I believe.

The GREEN is for the ECU, and it is the Temperature sensor.

Use the numbers on the Diagram to cross-ref the numbers on the second column of the parts-list.

I used the CHTS for my Wolf install. I think Bo (KTM) used the coolant temp sensor located in the thermostat housing, and he's logging the CHTS as reference. Ron says the two sensors have the same voltage versus temperature curve.

[Edit: I was trying to say you want a sensor, not a switch for the ECU]

• Administrators

Well this is getting out of hand now, isn't it?

It is not a Thermo-time switch. The thermo-time is for the cold start injector.... L28ET's didn't come with a cold start valve, nor the switch.

It is not a water temp. sensor of any kind.

It has nothing to do with ECU function.

It is a water temp. switch. It's part of the auxiliary injector cooling fan and auxiliary radiator fan circuit.

Yasin, I spent a little time with the schematic. The switch does nothing else. You've removed the fans, so the switch no longer serves a purpose.

Ron - Wow...many many thanks for doing the research for me!! I *so* greatly appreciate it. Here I was thinking all along that it was a critical sensor for me to replace!

I really need to just remove the factory EFI and install my standalone!

Many thanks to all that chimed in.

My best - Yasin

• Administrators
One question. I know that 2 wire sensors are much better than one wires, so would the head temp sensor threaded into the head work better with megasquirt than the one-green wired sensor on the thermostat housing?

One LAST time...

It is not a water temp. sensor of any kind.

It is a switch. Period.