HybridZ

RB 20 possible swap

MYRON

Hey Guys,

It has been many years since I have been here but I have been bitten by the bug again.. Anyway, my last swap was a 355inch SBC into a 77. It was 464 HP and the car was a ton of fun.. So here is the deal, I have a 78 chassis and I have 3 guys trying to sell me engines.. The choices are:

RB20DET/5 speed complete and ready to drop in for 2100.00

355inc SBC carb to pan 425HP Summit crate motor 1000.00

6 liter Pontiac Goat motor w/built auto and other mods 5000.00

I have never messed with turbo motor and it seems like it would be a decent challenge to get up to speed on some newer technology. I like the idea of being able to do almost all bolt-ins with this one. My brother would be helping alot on this because he has a collection of stupid fast Neons.

The SBC is obviously the most economical in terms of getting HP/$. The late model goat motor with the cam and tune without emissions and free flow has the most HP/TQ right off the bat.

Being I'm not familiar with the RB motor, can any of you give me a little insight into this swap?

Thanks,

Myron

I hope I don't get bashed on this forum for saying this but I would not go with a RB20det for $2100.00. I have seen numerous RB25det complete swaps on legit jdm motor sites for $1900.00 to $2100.00. I feel it would be a better swap but it is my own opinion.

I love my RB20 as it does everything I expected.....but go with the RB25 if its power potential you want. My RB20 puts out the power I want while being very smooth and drivable. I went RB20 for the same reason you did....I wanted to play with a turbo. And Im having a great time.

But if you are comparing it to a SBC crate motor...its an easy win for the V8! More power, cheaper parts, more support...blablabla.....lots of advantages.

For a high $ to HP ratio ..SBC is where its at. Oh ya....I dont think $2100 will be enough for a quality RB install. Maybe enough for a stock drop in for 215HP.

Thanks guys! In the long run, I'm looking for some real grunt. My first Z was putting almost 400 to the ground so starting out at 1/2 that may be a bit of a buzzkill.. I like the idea of a streetable car with stick shift, and my brother is pretty well versed in the turbo scene so it seemed like an RB would be a good choice... Any ideas of how much it would cost to stroke the 20 up to at least a 25/26?

Myron

More than its worth it. Just get the RB25... its built for more power output. Even the tranny is more robust.

The RB25 will cost you less in the long run...for the same "higher" power output. And the RB25s have dropped price big time compared to when I picked up my RB20. If I had to do it again I would do the RB25.

Nobody here will ever get flamed for saying dont go with an rb... in fact you will hear me telling others it's way more economical to go V-8 then rb... I did my rb swap because i was in japan and had the conections to make it happen while i was in the states.

If i was the next guy that wanted good HP motor i'd go with a turbo V-8.. But I will always like the rb sound more then any other motor :D

I hear ya!.. The guy that has the SBC summit crate motor has come down some more on the price. Only bad thing is a T6 tranny isnt cheap!.. My last Z had a 700R4 at first and then TH350 so this one has to be a stick!.. My brother has two small turbos in his "junkpile" that he said I could have so if I feel the need I cna maybe drop the compression on the SBC and do a mild TT V8... I guess I need to start looking for a 9" or at least a wrecked Q45 as well.

Myron

I hear ya!.. The guy that has the SBC summit crate motor has come down some more on the price. Only bad thing is a T6 tranny isnt cheap!.. My last Z had a 700R4 at first and then TH350 so this one has to be a stick!.. My brother has two small turbos in his "junkpile" that he said I could have so if I feel the need I cna maybe drop the compression on the SBC and do a mild TT V8... I guess I need to start looking for a 9" or at least a wrecked Q45 as well.

Myron

so simply don't run the T5-6 until you can afford it, and get a regular T5WC or something. It's the engine you gotta worry about firstly.

i got my last RB30 for $50,it had just been rebuilt as well

oh i forgot,you stateside guys didn't get the RB30,lol

come to think of it neither did the rest of the world....including japan where they were made....go figure

gotta love australia

i still reckon the best motor for the Z is a turbo 302 windsor,guys on the turbo mustang forum are running 9/10's in full body LX stangs

this combo is cheap,readily available,lots of aftermarket parts and best of all...very light if you use all the ali addons and just the cast iron block

this is mine ready to go in a 260,will be ditching the supra 5 speed for a C4 and high stall tho

302Turbo009.jpg

302Turbo007.jpg