HybridZ

coolant leaking from heater blower

Iv got coolant leaking from my blower under the pass dash for the heater, it only happens when I turn it on. The heating system is one of the few Z parts I dont know anything about (have never taken it apart lol). Is it just a leaking hose somewhere?

Im thinking about removing the whole thing "while im at it" some gauge space would be nice where the heater controls are but I do like defrost so well see lol.

[can post some pics up later today]

You can simply bypass the connections made to the firewall side in the engine compartment by looping the two lines together. This will allow you to take it out and redo what you need to do. Chances are it is the outlet fitting to the heater box since it seems to only happen when you turn it on and not all the time. It probably keeps dripping until the outlet line goes below the leak area.

You can simply bypass the connections made to the firewall side in the engine compartment by looping the two lines together. This will allow you to take it out and redo what you need to do. Chances are it is the outlet fitting to the heater box since it seems to only happen when you turn it on and not all the time. It probably keeps dripping until the outlet line goes below the leak area.

If I remember correctly this will cause a heat issue. Do not run the car hard in this configuration. (looping.)

I agree that you should not keep running it in the looped configuration but it does allow you to still use the car until you get the heater leak repaired. About the heating problem that a looped system might cause, well I had to do this with an old 77 Z during the hottest time in the Houston summer time (I have owned 15 1st gen Z's so far and it worked fine twice when I needed to try it). It rain plenty cool but I also had an electric fan and took off the clutch fan years before that time. I am not saying that it could not cause over heating but if it does I would say you have found out that there is another issue going on with the cooling system that needs some attention.

Since it only leaks when the heater is on it could be the control valve. The heater is under pressure running or not. The system does not have a valve on both sides of the heater core, so it will be seeing system pressure when the car is running.