HybridZ

almost there (big pics)

Careless

after suffering a pilot bushing failure, a crossover pipe mishap, a manifold stud removal exercise, some mild head porting and full valve train re-lap and cleanup, and a turbo rebuild and complete (almost) engine detailing and a heck of a lot of paint, brand new bolts and fasteners from nissan, and some other tidy-up replacement garbage... she's almost back together.

Drove her for 10 days and had the pilot bearing rub against the input shaft violently, and it got chewed up.

I hate working on this engine while it's still in the car. If it acts up again, I'm pulling it completely.

_dsc1387720.jpg

Intake seating mockup. Injector seals on order. Goes on first before intake.

_dsc2174368.jpg

port almost finished. little bit of oil on the valve seat to stop oxidation

_dsc1613378.jpg

heads cleaned, assembled, and resurfaced (little bit of lint from packaging towels).

_dsc1881732.jpg

Intake detail. an hour a day of painting to get things right took most of the time while waiting for nissan parts.

_dsc1773192.jpg

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was not supposed to be a project.

It was my DD for 10 days.

Cheap insurance, 140 bucks with Life Insurance Coverage too.

Not too bad on gas if you just coast in 5th, and it's got all the options I could need in a car, plus it's got some torquey balls to pass ppl on the highway.

Found it for a good price, drove it for 10 days, and then the pilot bushing crapped out. Decided to do some small fixes here and there and then all hell (and all fasteners) broke loose from there.

SOOOO yesterday I welded up my crossover pipe with some small modifications so that It could be removed without removing either of the manifolds in case it cracks or whatever.

Later today is the timing belt install, and possibly rocker arms+shafts

RB30DE is still going.

getting some info from Graham who has the 380hp RB30DE.

Can't work on two cars at the same time with my budget. When this car is on the road it will allow me to meet new clients and get new projects that would otherwise be out of my way.

Looks good. Is that a 300zx?

87 Turbo, it be.

My port work is a lot better than what the picture looks like. some would say too smooth, but I used a cool finishing tool that I think worked well. I have more pics, but no time to edit them. that was about 70% through all the ports, I did them in stages to equalize the amount of material I removed.

lower intake manifold and gaskets went on today.

tomorrow goes the fuel rail and cam gears + tensioner and belt, and then on wednesday the rocker-arms and shafts.

I found that the center section of my turbo must not have been aligned 100% to what it was before, that would explain my oil line needing some convincing, and the bracket that goes on the block to hold the intake pipe doesn't quite line up with the coolant line bracket, but the hard pipe and throttle seem to line up ok.

I'll just have to find a way to get that coolant line to stay put. I think I'll use some heavy duty zip ties and fasten it to the intake pipe.

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! @*#(&*(@!#

F'ing turbo is totally off. coolant lines are near touching the manifold and that is NOT acceptable. Now I have to find a way to remove the turbo without removing the heads.

another set back. Go0o0o0o0o ZEE! :cry2:

I'm so close to buying new sheets of drywall so I can paint them and punch them like they're real walls. I've run out of spare slabs.

I think I need a pulley-block and chain now to winch the engine up and loosen the engine mount to tilt the bastard to the passenger side.

god save us all, because I'm about to cause a global catastrophe.

Didnt NISSAN have one of the recalls on the injectors. Something to do with fires....gas eating seals?? I recall NISSAN swithing a portion of the injector harness along with seals and such.

Heck people and dealers were ordering the recall kits for their rust buckets throwing them in the hatch and taking the money from NISSAN.

Perhaps the kits are still available?

OH, and the injector seals I got today aren't even the right ones. Seems as though they changed the bits through the injector campaign, and they did not update the FAST system.

GREAT.

Didnt NISSAN have one of the recalls on the injectors. Something to do with fires....gas eating seals?? I recall NISSAN swithing a portion of the injector harness along with seals and such.

Heck people and dealers were ordering the recall kits for their rust buckets throwing them in the hatch and taking the money from NISSAN.

Perhaps the kits are still available?

Yes, Nissan has a service campaign with fuel injectors on the VG30e(t) engines. Yes, there was fires. No it wasnt the injector seals. It was the fuel hoses going to the fuel injectors. The kit does consist of 2 injector sub harness' taking your "sequential" injection to batch injection. Seals and possibly fuel injectors and hoses. The injector housings were cracking at one point also. The dealership has to order these parts, and install them. Unless you know someone. They can look up to see if you car has the service campaign completed in their system.

Raff, since you have all new hardware... Why dont you just pull the turbo with the drivers side manifold? Your car still has the side feed injectors, correct? Try this...http://www.z31parts.com/engineparts.html. You wont need the top o rings or the spacer, but there are the seals. I could look up the actual part number... But here is a link to the fiche page with injector part numbers. http://z31.com/fiche/2/o03.gif. Here is a link to the fiche alone. http://z31.com/fiche/. Also here is a link to the 87 recalls/campaigns. http://z31.com/repairs/rt/recall.87.shtml

Yeah, Nissan did do a service campaign. Jason and I talked about it when he came to pick up the RB30's.

I called Nissan the following monday with my VIN and my link @ nissan told me that the car had every single Nissan maintenance, service schedule, and recall applied to it. I think I can see the tape on the injector harness too.

The problem I foresee is that the picture on both my FAST system and the dealerships system is that from the bottom up, there are:

seal.

thin spacer.

seal.

thin spacer.

c-clip.

and some other crap.

on my injectors there is only:

fat seal.

black spacer cup thingy.

injector.

lololol. I don't know if that's correct. The seals I have on the end of my injectors seem to be a tad larger than the nissan ones. The injectors are also dual-feed. They sit tight onto the lower intake manifold, and I didn't detect any gasoline or fuels on my intake manifold when it was removed. I can't see why they would be like this. I would assume they were done when the injector campaign was last complete. But perhaps it was infact not installed?

damn these cars! stupid love-hate. i hate it! :mad: