HybridZ

almost there (big pics)

Careless

Raff, since you have all new hardware... Why dont you just pull the turbo with the drivers side manifold?

I assume I have to loosen the engine mount and chain the engine to the wall and pulley-block it so that it leans over well enough to move the turbo out, cause I don't see how it would come out without tilting the engine while the head is on. :(

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I assume I have to loosen the engine mount and chain the engine to the wall and pulley-block it so that it leans over well enough to move the turbo out, cause I don't see how it would come out without tilting the engine while the head is on. :(

IIRC when I pulled the mani off of the 87 in the jy, all I did was unbolt the mani, remove the ac mount, remove the front brace for the engine mount, move the steering rack over to the drivers side and remove all of the oil/coolant feeds for the turbo from the engine. It took me about 2 hours with breaks, and a tool run.

IIRC when I pulled the mani off of the 87 in the jy, all I did was unbolt the mani, remove the ac mount, remove the front brace for the engine mount, move the steering rack over to the drivers side and remove all of the oil/coolant feeds for the turbo from the engine. It took me about 2 hours with breaks, and a tool run.

yepp. looks like I'll have to remove that front brace that gussets the mount, and I could pull it foward and out, but I still think I have to keel the engine over a touch. I'll use an old seatbelt and feed it through the passenger manifold separations and have someone pull on it while I wedge out the turbo. I think I only have to turn it 5 to 10 degrees, but with the length of the lines, it makes a big difference.

OK. UPDATE.

in this dreadful -11* celsius weather, I managed to get the turbo out, reclock it, and put it back in. but I forgot one stupidly small thing, and I'm not going to take it out again, now that all the oil and coolant lines are lined up, bolted and ready to fly (except the drain tube, I'm going to cut a new hose and see put that sucker on good this time.

So. I had to remove the engine mount-block bracket. remove the oil line, and oil drain, bend the heat shield bracket at the vacuum booster out of the way, let the turbo fall, remove the coolant line and hard-pipe bracket, and use a lot of four letter words to take it out in ways I would never think possible.

I then bent the locking tabs and loosened the turbine housing center cartridge bolts, put the turbo back in by wrestling it once again, put the bracket hard pipe bracket back in (used for aligning center section properly), put the turbo back onto the head using only 4 studs, pulled on the coolant lines to align them with the bracket hole (moved a good inch, which translates to about 3 or 4 millimeters on the center cartridge), went under and over the car tightening bolts enough so that it wouldnt move.

I then removed the turbo again, put it on the floor, loosened the bolts I had tightened, and then retightened them all in stages so that the turbine shaft would not bind.

At this point, haste got the best of me, and I did not bang up the locking tabs on the turbine center section bolts (the small part I said I forgot). But I remembered that Nissan did not have the locking tabs there before I removed the bolts (and broke some in the process) when I was sending it out for rebuilding. So I don't think it's going to concern me much. I'll shove a long screwdriver in there and tap it with a hammer to bend as many as I can in tomorrow if i can reach.

SOOOOO I hope it's not gonna rear its ugly head and bite me in the ass, but I'm sure it will be ok. Does anyone have any objections? Cause I will pull that mother F'er back off if anyone has experienced any situation where they backed out!.

I had a bitch of a time aligning the oil feed, as I had installed it nicely with the original gasket, and then realized that the rear coolant tube was not connected, and I could not wedge it into place. So I had to remove the oil tube, and put the coolant tube to the side, slide in the oil tube, tighten down the coolant tube banjo bolt, and then realign the oil tube, cracking the gasket in half in the process.

I then remembered that kit had a new gasket in there, so I used that one. Hopefully this doesn't haunt me either. Now everything is back together, the crossover pipe was delivered today from my friend Nick, who welded it up for me because the small welder I was using ran out of wire as we were finishing up, and my new power cable for my 225amp mega welder has the wrong plug end, and I didnt want to spend an hour re-trimming the wires and putting on a new cable end at this point.

I just sprayed the welds with some VHT manifold paint, and it will go on tomrrow, then the rear coolant pipe for the lower intake, and then the timing belt + valve train accessories. From there it's clutch, flywheel, and trans + exhaust and whatnot.

Hopefully by next week it will be done. Definately will be done before my birthday (Dec 14, if anyone wants to send me a box of beer!).

UGHHHHHHHH IM BEAT. someone hit me over the head with a baseball bat so I can sleep (like some are looking for a reason, anyway! ahaha.... *sigh*)

haaaaaaahahahaha.. I actually yelled at the top of my lungs trying to take the turbo out, and then I sat down and had a chat with it.

"Listen Tee-Three. I gave you a fresh pair of underwear, I brushed your teeth, I put some vaseline on your parts that you keep saying are chaffing you, and all I want is for you to come out, so I can put your hat on straight, ok!?... this isn't my garage, and it's not yours, so quit hiding in there!"

surprisingly, 2 or 3 pulls and attempts later, the little guy just came right out!

i bent 3 tabs today on the parts that i forgot to bend before putting it back in. It was all I could access with a screw driver and calibrated smashometer. I'll see if I can get some more bent up tomorrow. got some more oil hose, and made a new oil drain and surprisingly it went on easier than I thought after I realize that the hose I was using was about 2 mm too long and not giving enough room to align the bolt holes.

I fastened my TB to my intake after using scissors to cut the hole of the gasket about 2 mm wider (stanza throttle!), and I fastened it using new nissan TB Bolts. I bought T-Bolt clamps from princess auto that match the TB Bolts, so I'll put those on, and they look might nice and are a lot better than those shitty band clamps.

I also put my magna-filter and cheapo filter on (for first 100 miles after reassembling valvetrain). I then installed my new oil pressure switch. I put the crossover pipe (after spraying it with 3 coats of VHT manifold paint).

And I also sprayed my intake pipe with the same caliper paint I used to do my valve covers, which came out amazing. Tomorrow I will shoot it with some Clear and let it sit for a couple of days while I get the injectors/cam-gears/timing belt/valve train back on.

I think I'll be ok for my deadline if I give it 3 to 4 hours a night for at least 2 or 3 nights a week.

3 weeks and counting!

lol your trouble with getting the turbo out reminded me when I replaced the cranks on my bmx bike. I was swappnig out the one piece for a three piece, and after getting EVERYTHING out, the crank wouldn't come out no matter what I tried. I was to the point where I was beating on it with a hammer and kicking it. then i stopped and asked it kindly to come out...

...and it just fell out of the bike. an hours worth of work and the thing fell out on its own.

hopefully everything works out fine haha. that detailing work you did looks GREAT by the way

thanks max :D

no talking about cranks and bikes. the bike I ride to work sounds like the bearings are munched in the crank, so at any time during my trips to work it could seize on me. SHHHHHHHHHHH!

as for my engine :D

Today I installed the missing exhaust stud nut for the cross pipe, the coolant tube at the back of the lower intake, and the injectors + fuel rail are back on and fastened with new lower seals. I had to remove the lower intake passenger rear bolt (which was torqued to spec) and then put it over the tab that comes down from the injector rail. Didn't notice it at first. I think it will be ok, I fastened the bolt down after with just my ratchet and no torque wrench. Hopefully it will be ok, it's one of the outer bolts, and the last one I tightened anyway.

I also installed my new coolant temp sensor wire, installed a new distributor o-ring, and the spark plugs so I could attempt to turn the engine over by hand and hold it while it's compressing at various states in the crank shaft rotation to hear for any hissing coming from the valve seats. Sounded ok to me, but that's not a good indicator. A compression test is definately in order.

I also installed the rear cover plate for the timing belt with one bolt for now. All others can be accessed even with the timing belt on. It's a matter of turning the engine over to various positions to access the bolt holes through the cam gear and whatnot. I then installed the cam gears and torqued to spec. Installed the timing belt correctly, however, I'm not sure how or why nissan does their tentioning method like they do on the late 87's and later models.

22 lbs of force? I have a fish scale that I use to pull down on to gain adequate 22lbs. But then you need to do some stupid ♥♥♥♥ with a feeler gauge, all while holding this allen L wrench for tension, and turning the crank shaft, and looking for 15mm of deflection across the two gears and the tensioner/R.H gear.

LOL sounds like a two person job. It was 2 in the morning so I stopped. I figure that is a lot to get done for one night.

Now all that's left is the setting the timing belt to tension (it's all lined up), putting the distributor in, (already lined it up to check that it's 180degree in the right direction, and not reversed pointing at cyl 6.), I'll then put the timing cover, turbo inlet piping and mafs, block drains, upper valve train in stages, accessory drive with new belts, upper intake with EGR blanking plate, and then the electronics.

That is my goal by Friday. Then if all goes well, I may put the transmission on during the next week, along with the starter, driveshaft, exhaust, and vacuum piping.

I have 2 weeks to meet my goal, I think I'll be able to get it ready, and insure it for january. I'll be running 15w40 Rotella T for the first 100 miles, or 160ish K. then I'll get it up at the front and drain that sucker and put in my AMS 10w40 and call it a done deal!

Hopefully I have time to install my braided brake lines. Once that's all done, I'll attempt to install my alarm system into it if I can solder in the sub-zero temps!

I'm starting to forget what it felt like to drive this car, and it was my first car in my name that I drove (for a stinkin 10 days!) before all this stuff happened. But hopefully it lasts me for another 2 or 3 years, and I'll be happy =)

I'm curious to see what my head work and my lightweigh flywheel, egr removal, and lower boost will do this time around (seeing as I removed the carburetor jet that someone shoved into the actuator vac line!

I'll get a boost controller soon as well. Just not in the budget right now! It will be accompanied by a synchronic bov with an anti-stall valve.

Raff

had to take the timing belt and cam gears off, and then the stud came out when the tensioner had to be removed. I thought I could rotate the cams to access the bolt holes for the rear timing plate, but i was being lazy.

So it didn't work out. I had to pull it all off and use the old bolts to put it back to how it was. and then I put the tensioner back, with teflon tape around the studs. I hope it will seal well enough.

I then put the belt and properly tensioned it as well (using the rear timing cover as a depth guage of sorts, and later checking with a fine ruler for proper deflection).

I also put the front cover on properly, and I layed the rocker arm setup + lifters onto the passenger side head, all cleaned up with fine #0000 steel wool, which brings it to a nice shine.

Then I put some assembly lube on all the parts and plopped them onto the valve train. I hope to get both sides torqued by tomorrow, and the valve covers on for good. Then it's just a matter of intake, piping, accessories + wiring, and the trans.

Wish me luck! shooting for dec 14!!!!!!!!!!

not to ba an ass... but from under the car and slight hand from above Ive removed a stock turbo(little itty bitty guy, and replaced with a turbonetics 60-1.... clocked the turbo and everything..... idk maybe I just love this hobby, but I also remove the engine and replace bearings and reassemble in about 5 hours when i was in love with my 300... and the passion sparked again.. got a 95 path motor in the garage today.. removed all the exhaust studs, drilled and tapped 4 that broke.... romoved the oil pan replaced the pik up screen..... blah blah blah... started today at 8 o clock hit the junk yard and now thats where I am.......

the more you do it the more you do it in less time, and easier.....

not to ba an ass... but from under the car and slight hand from above Ive removed a stock turbo(little itty bitty guy, and replaced with a turbonetics 60-1.... clocked the turbo and everything..... idk maybe I just love this hobby, but I also remove the engine and replace bearings and reassemble in about 5 hours when i was in love with my 300... and the passion sparked again.. got a 95 path motor in the garage today.. removed all the exhaust studs, drilled and tapped 4 that broke.... romoved the oil pan replaced the pik up screen..... blah blah blah... started today at 8 o clock hit the junk yard and now thats where I am.......

I can tell you're trying to be an ass because your post is a non sequitur, but you'd be more efficient with a little more effort put into your communication. Did you finish the thought about having removed and installed turbochargers? If you'd done it in an hour, I'd be impressed.

no it was 3 hours about, on the ground, fabricated a new down pipe.... and intake lines... and internal wastegate mount.. still not impressed.. i'll get my 300 back together, and remove and install the turbo mind you the larger turbonetics 60-1 in under 45 minutes.... would that be impressive

and as for finishing my thought. i stated that i removed and installed a turbo without removing the engine, or rocking it.....

sorry, but you must be refering to the smaller turbocharger that came on the later z31's.

the one in my z can no way in hell come from the underside, as the steering shaft guard plate is in the way, and the bolts are rusted to ♥♥♥♥, and somewhat inaccessible.

I managed to get the turbo up from the top side, and I know how to do it efficiently now, as long as the valve covers are off and don't get scratched (hey, i put a lot of hours into painting and repainting them!).

I think if I were to have to remove the turbo and fix something and re-fit it without damaging anything, I would be able to do it, replacing all studs (if unbroken) in about 3 hours. But this time around the valve cover would most likely get dinged as the angle of attack I've found calls for having the flange of the cross-over entry on the manifold rest upon the valve cover mating surface.

anyway, no point in beating a dead horse. I got it out, all that's left is the wiring for injectors and engine bits, and hoses + vacuum lines and belts.

then the trans goes on. then I drive it.

I love this hobby too. I love doing things like porting heads and getting things to go on and look nice. I mean, I didn't detail my engine like that just cause it was necessary. I didn't have to! But I like making things work, while looking kinda like they should work. LOL.

I would have loved to shove another turbo in there, but at that point I would spend more money on a intercooler and injector upgrade. I'm not prepared to do that to this car yet.

I was very limited in the way I am able to work because I can't fit an engine hoist in my garage to take out the engine, and just to lower my car off the jackstands requires removal of PLENTY of things that are in the way, just because I DID NOT forsee this rebuild going so extensively, so we moved things into the garage.

so, I make due with what I'm given. And I'm a week and a half at the most away from getting this thing back on the floor with the driveshaft in, ready to go

:ass:

pop the steering shaft.... hahahaha forgot all about that.... hahahahaha

yep pop that off no problem.. and its benn done on both my 84 and my 87, both the t3 turbo..... and the turbo netics 60-1 4" inlet... hahahaha way bigger than stock.. either by far.. hell the stock turbo compressor just about fits in the compressor housing.,. lol........

and my turbonetics could not fit even with the valve cover off from the top side, just so you know....... man i swear and also the motor had been out and whenit was everything was reassembled with antiseize.... bolts come undone years later still ith ease...

and like I said car was running with the stock t3 and 3 hours later had a turbonetics 60-1, new intake piping, and a new down pipe all made, from scratch......;)

and as for looking good... hell no look like ♥♥♥♥ sound like ♥♥♥♥ .... holly ♥♥♥♥ look at that peice of ♥♥♥♥ fly..... muahahahah........

pop the steering shaft.... hahahaha forgot all about that.... hahahahaha

yep pop that off no problem.. and its benn done on both my 84 and my 87, both the t3 turbo..... and the turbo netics 60-1 4" inlet... hahahaha way bigger than stock.. either by far.. hell the stock turbo compressor just about fits in the compressor housing.,. lol........

sure. pop off the steering shaft, find out something else breaks. another set back. yada yada yada.

I dunno if you noticed, or read anything, but the turbo came out and went back in more than enough times in one night once I figured it out. I was just frustrated because I paid someone to rebuild it and they did not re-clock it properly. sooooo laugh all you want. but I was just afraid I was going to have to take the head off again.

and my turbonetics could not fit even with the valve cover off from the top side, just so you know....... man i swear and also the motor had been out and whenit was everything was reassembled with antiseize.... bolts come undone years later still ith ease...

You don't live in a climate controlled by salt like we do. I reassemble everything with anti-seize. EVERYTHING that is not assembled with another lubricant or thread compound. When I say something won't come off, it's because I've either been half way through breaking it off, or it just wont come off. You're being quite condescending to assume that I don't know how to remove a fastener. You know... I kinda DID take this engine apart and put it back together, so I don't know what part of this post you didn't read to realize that.

and like I said car was running with the stock t3 and 3 hours later had a turbonetics 60-1, new intake piping, and a new down pipe all made, from scratch......;)

and as for looking good... hell no look like ♥♥♥♥ sound like ♥♥♥♥ .... holly ♥♥♥♥ look at that peice of ♥♥♥♥ fly..... muahahahah........

If that's your preference, than so be it. I want a reliable good looking, clean daily driver. I will spend the "holy ♥♥♥♥" money on my other motor. Had I wanted to spend money on this rebuild, I would have got a larger turbo, injectors, put my wolf v500 in, and ran a big FMIC too. But you don't seem to get budgeting and "keeping it real". Did I mention it's not even my garage that I've been overtaking?

please read my thread thoroughly before judging what's been done. Everything has been done for a reason... some of which I had no choice nor any willingness to do, but had to.

:fmad:

go back and read my first post...

i was saying just that...

i figured it was more of a reassureing comment that it gets easier..

and that turbo change i did was in my buddies drivway.. hahaha and yes that was me laughing at you because you attack my every post...

i never once judged you.. i didn't say i was better, never even hinted towards it.. sorry if you thought that anything I said was intended in attacking you it wasn't..... i am a very passionate person when it comes to cars.. i love to hear storys about this and that about what someone has done is going to do or anything like that... please keep that in mind...

good luck on your project.. I hope its more than you ever expected it to be (as in twice as good)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys, finally got the engine to start. went smooth. no hiccups, a couple of sensor wires are broken but nothing too hard to solve.

trans is still spinning in neutral though. I suspect it's not the pilot bearing catching as I had thought before (although the old pilot bearing was in bad shape anyways... definately good idea to change it).

I'm not too disappointed, I mean i took the engine apart, put it back together with new valve lapping and porting, and new turbo with lines and such. I was expecting something unruly like the coolant pipe under the intake to start leaking or something (just my luck!) but it went perfect. no bad fluid smells of anything non-gasoline like.

Kinda just saddened because I wanted to drive it this year again. I'll get her done, but I just don't wanna spend ALL my money on this thing at once. I need a vacation!

I think the trans is fubar'd, but I made a post in the drivetrain section because that's where it belongs... here she be:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?p=970454#post970454

thanks for posting/looking.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

Clutch line needs to go in, and reverse light needs to be checked for improper operation (i assume my wiring on the switch is plugged into the neutral switch instead but i dunno. must check... maybe the bulbs are caputzz).

• Engine is timed at 900 @ 15deg BTDC, mainly due to flywheel being lighter.

• There was some oily residue on the floor with some fuel all over the place when It was running with no exhaust and only the downpipe. Through some math and some pointing and cursing and a 6th cylinder misfire, I found out the weirdest thing.

1) My distributor was indexed into the head at the WRONG mark on the balancer. I indexed it on the last mark to pass the timing cover pointer, when it should be the first. So timing was a full 30 degrees out. Also, the distributor rotor bolt was wedged against the little upright bracket on the inside of the dizzy, causing the 6th cylinder fire to arc to the BOLT and not to the 6th plug terminal (I changed wires many times!).

2) All that misfiring caused fuel to be dumped into the downpipe and that fuel melted the oily residue that was not cleaned off the inside of the downpipe. and that's why there were spots of oil and oily residue on the downpipe. Not leaking, just a wet film. Checked the turbo for leaks and it's fine. Car does not smell of oil and neither do exhaust fumes :-D

3) All that misfiring and plug wire changing and alternative arcing of the coil charge caused one severe detonation. Enough to close the gap on my spark plug in 6th cyl. So I pulled it, gave it some wire-brush love, and regapped the sucker. No problems since! UNTIL I RAN OUT OF GAS :(

4) I want to drive this thing. Like. NOW. but instead, someone in the sky decided to sneeze and dropped all this icky snow all over Toronto.

bastard... use a dang tissue!

• 3 weeks later...