HybridZ

l28et engine upgrade help

Guest senatE

so i used the search bar ALOT, but it seems everything i type comes up with no answers. so i thought i would resort to yall for some help.

i decided to keep my motor so i wouldnt have to do any modifying to my engine bay or anything for a swap. and ive been looking on sites but i cant really find anyone taht sells alot of performance parts for the l28et

can someone list some sites or something to help me out, i pretty much want EVERYTHING possible that can go on this motor. like intake manifold all the way down to tourqe converters if they have them for these auto trannys. so if someone could help me out that would be great.

thanks alot and sorry i had to ask on here im just not to good at searching :icon11:

also if someone could link me to somewere that has instruction to remove the head, tried that search to :( and are the stock head bolt reuseable until i start my engine build? i plan on buy ALOT of parts before i build my motor so maybe a half a year? to a year? will they last that long?

You need to buy one of these that is specific to your car

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1979-DATSUN-280ZX-FACTORY-SERVICE-MANUAL-Z-CAR-280-ZX_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1205Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem380080877025QQitemZ380080877025QQptZMotorsQ5fManualsQ5fLiterature

Then read it and memorize it. It has a wealth of information [including mentioning that head bolts are torque-to-yeild]. Good luck!

You need to buy one of these that is specific to your car

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1979-DATSUN-280ZX-FACTORY-SERVICE-MANUAL-Z-CAR-280-ZX_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1205Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem380080877025QQitemZ380080877025QQptZMotorsQ5fManualsQ5fLiterature

Then read it and memorize it. It has a wealth of information [including mentioning that head bolts are torque-to-yeild]. Good luck!

thanks man, now what about companys and performance parts?

I used to live in Allen, so I'll cut you a break...

Before you make any purchases or decisions, spend a few weeks worth of reading on here. No one is going to answer the questions you've asked straight up, b/c they've already been addressed. Check out all the stickies in all the sub forums, and if you don't understand something search and read about it until you do.

Until you understand everything you'll need to do a swap, every part of the motor and all the wiring, keep reading. Ask for help only if you've tried to figure it out on your own (really tried).

Performance parts aren't as readily available for these cars. Check out MotorSport Auto (MSA), Arizona Z Car, Pallnet Specialty Parts, and Black Dragon. Search hybrid for references to them if you can't find the sites with google.

By doing all this work yourself you will find that the best asset to your build will be yourself, if you can get properly educated. This may seem like harsh advice, but this is how this site is run. I went from being painfully ignorant about car specifics to being fairly knowledgeable in only a few months. If you're not willing to wait and learn for that amount of time, you're in the wrong hobby.

Good luck! :D

I used to live in Allen, so I'll cut you a break...

Before you make any purchases or decisions, spend a few weeks worth of reading on here. No one is going to answer the questions you've asked straight up, b/c they've already been addressed. Check out all the stickies in all the sub forums, and if you don't understand something search and read about it until you do.

Until you understand everything you'll need to do a swap, every part of the motor and all the wiring, keep reading. Ask for help only if you've tried to figure it out on your own (really tried).

Performance parts aren't as readily available for these cars. Check out MotorSport Auto (MSA), Arizona Z Car, Pallnet Specialty Parts, and Black Dragon. Search hybrid for references to them if you can't find the sites with google.

By doing all this work yourself you will find that the best asset to your build will be yourself, if you can get properly educated. This may seem like harsh advice, but this is how this site is run. I went from being painfully ignorant about car specifics to being fairly knowledgeable in only a few months. If you're not willing to wait and learn for that amount of time, you're in the wrong hobby.

Good luck! :D

lol thanks, btw how is that college there lol, know quiet a bit of ppl there and they never come back. lol, but neways yeah ive built several honda and chevy motors just not nissan. ive been searching like crazy and i have got so many links bookmarked now. i cant wait to start this build. neways thanks for that advice, im going to pick up a rebuilt p90a head for now from a cyl head international. and build off of it. :)

Yeah, College is nice up here. There are crap tons of Texas people up here, it's surprising.

But yeah, stickies are your friend. To be honest, I find searching is less helpful. To much clutter of people asking the same questions (ahem :D). Less common problems is what searching is good for.

Also, as mentioned a FSM isn't a bad idea. XenonS30.com has them digitally, very helpful.

Previous car experience is nice, but often gets you in trouble on forums like this. You feel experienced b/c you've done similar stuff, but each time you change hobbies or car types there is a whole new slew of "norms" to learn. Also, these cars are so old that the parts support just isn't there like it is for newer performance cars. It's all about acquiring knowledge to learn how to mix and match old parts, not making a shopping list for new ones (that don't exist). ;)

i plan on buy ALOT of parts before i build my motor so maybe a half a year? to a year? will they last that long?

I'm going on 1.5 years of collecting parts. I'm getting closer each couple of months, I'm cheap, but also want good parts.

I agree with reading a lot first. Your first decision is to come up w/ a HP rating you want. Then build from there. You will realize quickly what you will and won't be able to do with stock parts.

Also I would not take your car off the road until you acheived 100% in part collection. That's the route i'm taking. I enjoy driving it NA now and having it sit in my garage waiting for more $$ to come in would bother me.

Goodluck!

thanks guys for the help, so tonight i picked up a few parts that im very happy about :)

first is the srt4 front mount intercooler, until i buy a better one for my build this is only temp. its little bent up but still holds pressure no leaks.

300zx N/A rear end gears and the whole housing w,e you wanna call it.

300zx turbo ecu

the things for the back hatch windows, one is plexiglass prob wont use 2 of the things are broke and the other is metal,

another digital speedo

center console with the electronic mirror switch, prob switching to manual mirrors anyways.

so you do have a 280ZXT? With the 300zx ECU you need the MAF and the Dizzy internals. If you dont have the turbo motor, you need to switch out the oil pump drive shaft for a l28et one and then swap the internals. You also have to swap some wiring around, there are writeups. Your car is automatic? Do you like automatic? just wondering why your keeping it. (sorry i despise auto trannys) If your really wanting everything for this car, get ARP head bolts. Once fully torqued down, head bolts slightly warp, not giving you the same torque specs. Dont worry about intake manifold yet untill you get more into everything. Intake, downpipe and vacuum boost controller would be a good start.

Oh and the rear end housing and gears is reffered to as the differential.

so you do have a 280ZXT? With the 300zx ECU you need the MAF and the Dizzy internals. If you dont have the turbo motor, you need to switch out the oil pump drive shaft for a l28et one and then swap the internals. You also have to swap some wiring around, there are writeups. Your car is automatic? Do you like automatic? just wondering why your keeping it. (sorry i despise auto trannys) If your really wanting everything for this car, get ARP head bolts. Once fully torqued down, head bolts slightly warp, not giving you the same torque specs. Dont worry about intake manifold yet untill you get more into everything. Intake, downpipe and vacuum boost controller would be a good start.

Oh and the rear end housing and gears is reffered to as the differential.

whats the difference between zx and zxt? i looked but didtn find anything usful and i have a the turbo motor, and i love auto trannys, if my car was not a boosted i would do a manual but boosted cars run quicker than a manual car on a drag strip, alot of the times.

if my car was not a boosted i would do a manual but boosted cars run quicker than a manual car on a drag strip, alot of the times.

:confused::hs: Did I read that correctly? Are you trying to say a Turbo Charged car is faster than a manual N/A car?

What about a Manual Turbo Charged car?

You are trying to compare apples with oranges son.

:confused::hs: Did I read that correctly? Are you trying to say a Turbo Charged car is faster than a manual N/A car?

What about a Manual Turbo Charged car?

You are trying to compare apples with oranges son.

grr sorry typo, manual boost

I may be wrong, however I always thought the main reason that you put an auto in a drag car had nothing to do with speed. The reasons that I have heard are that an auto gearbox will generally last longer and take more power as it is not having gears changed as quickly or as hard.

Might be wrong though. Just thought it had nothing to do with ETs.

At minimum you want the stock auto to have a shift kit. A 5spd setup needs somewhere around 75 or so hp to keep up with the auto in the 1/4 but won't be as consistant. A lot depends on the driver of course.

do you know were i can find these shift kits? ive look EVERYWERE thats what i am wanting so bad right now, and a stall converter but cnat find that either.

trust me i can do alot more with a automatic than a manual. ill have to scan some pics of some cars we built but yall will be amazed cause they are all autos :)

do you know were i can find these shift kits? ive look EVERYWERE thats what i am wanting so bad right now, and a stall converter but cnat find that either.

trust me i can do alot more with a automatic than a manual. ill have to scan some pics of some cars we built but yall will be amazed cause they are all autos :)

Cool, have not read anything on the Z automatic being used heavy......

not that it has not happened, just never came across it.

Lots of "what dose it take to convert a auto to man"?