HybridZ

Cant convince spark to stay

MJLamberson

Doing the turbo swap wiring, got everything working good except spark, heres whats up:

When I had the coil wire off the coil so I could see if it was sparking, it would only create a spark for a split second and then stop, I took the positive off the coil and put it directly to the battery with the same results, it woul spark when the wire touched the battery, but only once and never again untill it was removed from the power then touched the battery again... whats up with this? its beyond me.

ANY advice would be great, and if you need to know anything else let me know, thanks.

-Michael

I think, if you put the 12+ of the coil to the batt. it will only spark once. Your dizzy turns it on/off as needed for each cylinder.

As far as almost no spark when cranking do you have the external CAS? (1981 turbo motor) or is it in the dizzy (1982-1983 motor)

I had the external CAS that bit the dust on me, and had the optical pick up in the dizzy poop the bed also. Once there gone, no spark.

Is this on your 77 or an S30 in general? Sounds like that has already been done in your profile. Probably doesn't apply, but if you use the body harness (rather than running wires from coil straight to the ignition switch) in an S130 you must swap/reverse the wires going to the ignitor. They are exactly backwards.

When I did my L28et swap earlier this year, I also had the problem of no spark.

It turned out that I had wired an incorrect switched power, "acc" instead of an "ign" , wire to the ign wire on the efi relay. Hope it'll help.

Which wiring did you follow? My ecu is sitting on my floor as well.

site1081.jpg

I just noticed I dont have a wire going from plug 2 to my starter/ignition switch.... would that be causing my problem? where on the starter and I supposed to hook that up to?

EDIT: I should probably mention that right now my starter isnt hooked up to my ignition switch, when I converted the car from auto to manual I didnt know about the neutral start switch so I just put in a button from positive to the soleniod. I dont see how this would affect anything but Im throwing it out there just in case.