HybridZ

Econo Wooden Car Tilter Designs (?)

gdv350ss

I hope to begin work on my 240Z LS1 conversion this winter. The body/interior were torn down by the P/O and stored inside (dry!) for over 20 years in his aborted SBC conversion. I'm starting with a really solid frame and floors. On my list of things to be done is add Bad Dog frame rails and finish bottomside. Ideally I'd use a rotisserie to access the bottom, but I don't have one. I do howerver have access to a complete wood working facility and have done a number of complex wood related projects in the past.

I'm thinking about one of these ideas to access the bottom.

1WoodRotisserieplans.jpg

WoodRotisseriemid.jpg

1WoodRotisseriefar.jpg

1WoodRotisserieclose.jpg

option 2:

2WoodRotisserieplans.jpg

2WoodRotisseriedown.jpg

2WoodRotisseriegoingup.jpg

2WoodRotisserieup.jpg

upgraded w/legs or wheels

2WoodRotisserieimproved.jpg

2WoodRotisserieimproved2.jpg

Pretty creative IMHO! What do you think???

Mike kZ,

Makes me a little nervous too, but I did see they all have some kind of stop incorporated into them.

goldfish,

I don't have easy access to metal working/welding equipment required to modify stands and fab cross support pieces.

My plan is to tilt car, clean bottom, temporarily attach Bad Dog rails with screws, pay welder to stitch weld rails, then apply underside coatings.

That's pretty cool! I'd be afraid of it tipping over though.

Im not real warm and fuzzy on the lift version. I would never remove the hoist!

On the pivot version why not extend and beef up the top portion of the pivot plates to create a built in stop. When the stop contacts the ground your done. That way you dont need that center 2x4 and there is no worry about over pivoting.

goldfish.....its cheaper alternative. wood and bolts vs Two stands + the extra bracing steel. This is a very econo alternative, not as convienent as a true rotissory but if your project doesnt require a lot of work then why spend the money. not perfect but a cool idea. Plans saved to hard drive!

Thanks for sharing.

I cannot imagine a scenario where you would want to leave the suspension on, with the vehicle on a rotisserie. Access to the underside of a rolling chassis is accomplished through a lift (if you are lucky) or jack/stands; Rotisseries are for frame/unibody recon work.

That is so cool, I'm bookmarking this thread!

Thanks for these photos. Even with a forklift and a gantry available, they don't go everywhere on my property, and this would make some things a LOT easier during the times of the year I have a full wash restricting my access to the westernmost portion of my property.