HybridZ

Is this a dash cap on my car?

SmogSUX

The car was stored outside for a good 20 years, but somehow didn't get any bad rust on it and the dash was covered in dust, but no cracks. How can I ensure it won't crack? Just weekly dash and vinyl spray? I've been using Meguires #40 on my other cars and it seems fine. Then again my other cars are nowhere near as old as this one.

Really, the best way to protect your dash would be with a dash mat, but imo they're very ugly. I too scored (free rust free shell with a rebuilt engine on a stand and a perfect dash :D) and the PO told me that it was evtremely important to keep it armor all'd on a regular basis. The material the dash is made from has no UV protection so protection from the sunlight is paramount.

I plan on using this every time I detail my car and these at least once per week.

• 2 weeks later...

"Really, the best way to protect your dash would be with a dash mat"

I'm not sure I would do that. I had one on another car and while displaying it at a show I slipped my hand under the mat. It was extremely hot. So

I uncovered half of the dash and checked it after about 1/2 hr. THE UNCOVRED PART OF THE DASH WAS MUCH COOLER !!

Again, beware.

I would just go buy a half-height plastic dash cap and pop it on over the original.

Take the cap back off anytime you want the car to look pretty.

REALLY, the only way to preserve the interior of an S30 is to park it indoors all the time, or get rear louvers and a windshield screen that you use religiously. That, plus tinted windows, make a Z SO MUCH nicer inside. Less frequent need of detailing by far. THIS is the reason camaros, Zs, and many cars with very sloped rear decks use louvers; to keep the sunlight out of the car and preserve the interior. Louvers and a windshield sunvisor (especially now that they have the reflective mylar ones; My uncle's car hasn't really been on the road for about 10 years, and HIS interior ir the one I am picturing) keep out so much UV and heat it is ridiculous.

I call these cars my favorite little greenhouses.. ANY angle the sun is at, it pours into AT LEAST one of the two pieces of glass. Usually it is both. Trust me; in South Florida (as in other places I am sure) you recognize features like this in automobiles; especially when you and your family live lifetimes in them.

OR... you could get some of the new 3m crystalline tint that is 100% optically clear and yet blocks the vast majority of UV rays, legal for the windshield and protects the dash, that would be my plan. I personally can't stand the stupid reflective fold out, hit you in the face, too big for the car, etc... covers, so I'd prefer to just put a little clear tint on there and call it good. REALLY nice dash though, lucky lucky you, I think mine would be a fair trade if you'll take my word for it ;)