HybridZ

performance heads

hi im new o the hybird forums.. i just had a couple of questions about the turbo 86 300zx the vg30et .. i was wondering if there are any performance heads to increase. performance. i well stock still but im looking to up grade. i just need a few pointers on what it available for these cars i search all over and cannot find heads fro these cars like mustangs or camaro's... i saw the nismo heads but they are way out my money range. i was more thinking abou something eles or just portting and polishing the heads.. and intake. i also wanted to do the pathfinder manifold.. with the engine heads ported or up grade pls let me know whats available. for the z31. i wish they had asmuch upgrades asthey do for the z32... they have dam near every upgrade possible for the z32 why not the z31 and they started it all.. and paved the way for the z32 and the z33 aqnd the new 370z which is going to be as -popular as the 350z was when it hit the streets in 03.. thanx and im more than gladly to be apart of the forums along with the datsun family.. thanx:icon2::icon30::hs:

In short, there are no performance heads avail in any reasonable sense of the word. Port and Polish, modify the quench, cc match the chambers, relieve the valves.. That's about it. In the VG30ET turbo world, I don't think very many people are even bothering with headwork. I do have a set of heads that have seen some modest work done to them, but I will likely never get a chance to use them. Maybe one day.

Scott.

• 2 weeks later...

if you are looking for more power, just take off your heads and get them ported and polished, take your intake in to to get port matched as well, I have owned 3 z31's and have never heard of off the shelf performance heads, also you get what you pay for, so your gonna have to spend some cheese to get that power you want...checkout z31performance.com great site for information for your z..

• 1 month later...
Guest maldhaheri

my friend did the heads work for my Z. port and polish valve job, stage 2 cams schneider, ferrea valves, JWT valve springs. he is in Norwalk California if you still interested.

my friend did the heads work for my Z. port and polish valve job, stage 2 cams schneider, ferrea valves, JWT valve springs. he is in Norwalk California if you still interested.

hello im interested im in the process of taking my heads off im thinking about rebuilding the heads so mightas well get it port and polished... i kinda hearing a ticking noise and i put a screw driver on my manifold and heard an slight ticking noise so im thinking its a valve that maybe getting taped buy an piston slightly.. so im going to go with that set up...

hello im interested im in the process of taking my heads off im thinking about rebuilding the heads so mightas well get it port and polished... i kinda hearing a ticking noise and i put a screw driver on my manifold and heard an slight ticking noise so im thinking its a valve that maybe getting taped buy an piston slightly.. so im going to go with that set up...

More than likely, it is a bad lifter. If you have a valve "lightly tapping" a piston......you need to check your timing belt, if your timing is off - the valve will probably "lightly tap" throught the piston.

• 1 month later...

There was, at one time, a set of heads offered by Nismo. These have long since vanished and are no longer available. I've personally never even seen or heard of anyone even using them. Regardless, its highly recommended to have your heads ported and polished with a 3/5 angle valve job and a good set of cams and springs to match. The stock Z31 heads are TEH SUCK and are a massive bottleneck for making any kind of serious power.

• 1 month later...

If you are going to up the boost then typically turbo engines benefit from some close attention to exhaust flow, inlet is not so crucial. Maybe bigger valves, certainly some good professional head flow work.

• 2 weeks later...
We have raced a Z31turbo for some time. We had the heads and intake Extrude Honed.We have the same set up on a non turbo with Nismo Euro Cams and are making 220 hp at the rear wheels.

What other things did you do to get 220. I tried the Nismo cams, porting and polishing the head, gutted plenum and got to 170.

Re did the engine this past off season. Raised the compression ratio, Isky cams along with the other stuff I had done and got 220 WHP with 203Ft lbs of torque

149f14219c870c1.7752425950_thumb.jpg

I still think that there is more to be found with some tuning and work on the intake and exhaust

Here is the car this year at a test & tune

• 3 weeks later...

Hi friends, port and polish heads, +1mm Ferrea valves with seats and valve angle jobs are a proper work to do on those stock heads.Valvesprings and a good pair of camshafts with asjustable timming sprockets is a way to really improved those heads. It really works on my project, good luck.

• 4 weeks later...

FYI Nismo heads were just raw head castings. In other words, you can't use them until you have it ported and seated. They are basically your normal VG30E heads but with no work done to them...they were useful because they had more meat to them and you can grind it for specific applications. If you want narrow small ports...there you go! If you want bigger ports, just port them out. Thats what VG NISMO heads were all about.

What other things did you do to get 220. I tried the Nismo cams, porting and polishing the head, gutted plenum and got to 170.

Re did the engine this past off season. Raised the compression ratio, Isky cams along with the other stuff I had done and got 220 WHP with 203Ft lbs of torque

[ATTACH]14149[/ATTACH]

I still think that there is more to be found with some tuning and work on the intake and exhaust

Here is the car this year at a test & tune

Hey Russ congrats! It's been a while since I've been around, so I'm glad to hear that you did it!

And what about tuning? What did you do differently in that department?

Hey Russ congrats! It's been a while since I've been around, so I'm glad to hear that you did it!

And what about tuning? What did you do differently in that department?

Thanks! Didn't do much differently for tuning. Still used NisTune, just had to change the timing, fuel maps, and K values to account for the increase in compression and the larger cam. I am planning on getting back on the dyno this month and playing with my cam gears to see what and where the power band goes by advancing/retarding the cam timing between 5*+/-. If it requires a separate tune for each setting then I will be able to load whichever tune matches the cam gear setting I am using.

So far we have only tried 3* retard which produced 220/203 and 3* advance which sacrificed a HP up top but picked up about 10 RWTQ down low.

The thing I really want to do is raise the rev limiter to see where peak HP rolls over. So far, as you can see in the dyno graph, it leveled off starting at about 5800 rpms and stayed there until 6800.

It may roll over or may be that it needs more air to be able to produce more power. The next things I plan on working on is a better intake, custom headers, and a new exhaust system. That should allow me to get a bit more out of the engine. I guess the ultimate goal is 300 rwhp!!