HybridZ

How important is replacing motor mounts?

PhilbertZ

This may come off as a noob question in this crowd, but I need to ask it.

I had a (free) inspection by a local mechnic (thanks AAA!) this week and, among a bunch of things I already knew were wrong with the car, the mechanic stated that the engine mounts needed replacing.

1) How dire of a repair is this - if I put it off, will I be risking a catastrophe, or is it a drive comfort thing?

2) can I do it myself? I'm guessing it involves raising the engine up and I don't have a crane....

I'm somewhat handy (replaced a diff gasket on my truck, done brakes, clutch cylinder, valve adjustments, etc)...but never dared to touch motor mounts....

Thanks in advance

Phil

kinda depends on if they are whole or broken. If they are still whole i wouldn't get too excited. My 83 got the originals and they still have some life left in them. You can replace them by jacking up the engine slightly and doing one side at a time. He might be one of them mechanics that think it should be like a new car or nitpicker doesn't want to get sued for not stating the obvious. LIke gee they are 25 years old!!!!

Its mostly a noise vibration issue although bad engine mounts can affect shifting. When the mount fails things can get damaged. They would be on top of my list of items to replace when you have some extra money to spend on the car. More important then yellow spark plug wires or a CAI.

2) can I do it myself? I'm guessing it involves raising the engine up and I don't have a crane....

I'm somewhat handy (replaced a diff gasket on my truck, done brakes, clutch cylinder, valve adjustments, etc)...but never dared to touch motor mounts....

Replacing motor mounts on an s30 is very straight forward so I would assume your zx would be as well. You just need to make sure you can safely lift the engine an inch or so after disconnecting/checking all the engine connection points (transmission mount, exhaust, intake, radiator, etc.).

Thanks All!

They seem to be intact, though worn. My shifter has been rather "clangy" since I got the car a year ago - when I shift quickly, it makes a loud metallic "Clang" noise - when I shift slowly and deliberately, it's fine.

I think I'll likley wait for now, but that's good to know it's not too involved (as long as I have time, patience and the motor lift available!).

I'll be sure to also dive into my service manual to see what the procedure is - I mostly wanted to know if it's something I need to do, or *should* do soon - when I get the time/money :)

Thanks again you guys -love this forum

Jack up the motor-trans assembly by the lower bellhousing after you've loosened / removed the bolts.

Jack high enough to remove one mount (that you have loose).

Replace, lower tighten everything.

Repeat.

You can do it two at a time, but it can get tricky. I do the LH side one (under the intake) first as it's the most difficult to reach.

To prevent any damage by a failing mount, you can 'chain down' the engine so it won't rock when you get on the throttle. It's common on SBC powered trucks to break mounts, and when you get on it the engine torques over and you put a big dent in your hood from the valve cover hitting it! D'OH!

A nice chain bolted to the block and tied down around the K-Member will limit movement wihout imparting harshness to the interior like solid mounts would do.