HybridZ

Wheels - How wide on standard guard?

Guest Cruzmeister

Guest Cruzmeister

Hi guys, newbie here.

I'm sure you get ask this all the time, but I'm hoping you don't mind helping out.

I was wondering if someone can advise, what the widest wheel size I can fit under a standard guard on a 240z ('71), without lipping or fitting ZG flares?

I was considering either 16's or 17's. What offset is best for either diameter? I do like the dish out look.

Again, this is to fit under an unmodified 240z body. I'd like to keep my Z body original, but would like to dress it up with fatter wheels (ie. Rota) for a cruise here and there.

Cheers

I haven't heard the term lipping. Is it trimming the inner fender lip?. I run a 17x9 with a 275mm tire non flared. You have to run a 8" coil over though. Some brands of 275 are wider than others. Nitto and Toyo fit the best. The wider ones, Kumho and MT need a small inner lip trim. A 245/255 tire would easily fit with zero trimming. You can run a 18x9.5 too.

Guest Cruzmeister

Thanks guys,

By the sounds of things, "Lipping" seems like an Australian term only. Lipping is basically rolling the guards. We use both terms in Australia.

So I should be safe with an 17x8.5 with an offset of +4 for the rear?

I'm considering running two different wheel width. I was thinking running 17x8.5 (+4 offset) for the rear and 17x7.5 (+4 offset) for the front.

Will there be any rubbing under stock standard guards?

Cheers

my old 71 240z had 16x9 on all for corners with 225/45/16 the lips were rolled but it was not really required with the 225/45 but I think this was done when the car used to run 225/50. There are pics on this site in the show us your wheels thread. And I can link some pic here if you can't find them.

You can definitely fit a much wider wheel out back if you have coil overs. Up front if you keep the over all diameter down you could probably fit a 9" wheel just fine. Steering angle might be limited a bit though. Its not really the wheel that is the issue for getting max width in. It is the tire... that is to say with the larger tire diameters it becomes increasingly difficult to make them work. You may be able to fit a tire with a 22" OD up to a 9.5" rim on the front but with a 24" OD maybe only something around a 8.5". Those are fictional numbers, but that is the general idea.

Guest Cruzmeister
...There are pics on this site in the show us your wheels thread. And I can link some pic here if you can't find them.

Yes please. I tried searching for it to no avail. Thanks

Thanks guys,

So I should be safe with an 17x8.5 with an offset of +4 for the rear?

I'm considering running two different wheel width. I was thinking running 17x8.5 (+4 offset) for the rear and 17x7.5 (+4 offset) for the front.

Will there be any rubbing under stock standard guards?

Cheers

I would run the same 8.5 on the front too. My 17x9 rear works out to be a 24mm offset. I don't know about a 8.5, +4. Seems out there a little.

I have a set of 3 piece BBS 16x8 with 0 off set running 225-50-16 Bridgstones. The front fenders are rolled and the clearence issues are on the lower valence when turning the wheel. The tires also hit the strut towers. 1/4 in. spacers and clearence work on the strut towers is required. On the rear I removed about 1/4 in. of the inner lip. The rear tire hit the strut tower also. A 1/4 in. spacer gave 1/8 in. clearence at the strut tower, I will be doing some clearence work on the rear strut tower also. I have read were a lot of people have no clearence issues with 16x8 and 225-50-16. I realize that not all tires are the same size, even if the numbers state they are the same. I am glad I did my clearence work prior to body work and paint. I have left the appearence of the wheel wells looking stock but a lot of work went into getting those wheels to fit my 1972 240z

I do have pictures but I was wanting to wait until the car is finished to post any pictures. I am also not very good with computers and I don't know how to post photos but I will figure it out. But the early era BBS wheels with magneisum centers, completly re-done at 13.5 lb look great.

Yes please. I tried searching for it to no avail. Thanks

see here http://forums.hybridz.org/showpost.php?p=810363&postcount=122

I have since sold the mags - and the the car. The mags are now on a 260z which has the larger suspension with the lower spring perches in the front. So the guy had to change the inner shells so the front rims are now 16x8. If he had coil overs of 240z front struts these would have worked fine.

• 4 weeks later...

V8INtheZ,

I finally got the picture thing going. In this picture you may notice there are no nug nuts. The tire is touching the spring perch and the wheel is just sitting on the studs.

Prior to rebuilding the wheels, I got a hold of BBS, USA. They did a little reasearch via searel numbers and found that the wheels had not been produced for 22 years and were never imported into the USA. The goal is old school. I think the wheels came out nice.

11311_thumb.attach