HybridZ

My RB20DET 240z x-mas build

RB20DET_Z

The build on my RB20DET/1971 Datsun 240z has officially begun. Going in this week are...

-MSD fuel pump

-MSD FPR

-SS fuel lines

-280zx gas tank (possibly a custom fuel cell instead)

-JEGs racing radiator and new fan setup

-new FMIC and all new piping

-New speedo, tach, WB02, and other gauges

(tune on stock turbo with new fuel/cooling system)

Next week we'll get started on the REAL fun stuff

-Tomei metal head gasket

(polish and deck head)

-GT-R injectors 440cc

-ARP head studs

-Greddy timing belt

-Holset HY35 turbo

-Tial wastegate

(Tune on bigger turbo/injectors setup)

And next month to finish up

-Tomei poncams

-Tomei titanium valve springs

-Greddy cam gears

-Spec stage 3 clutch

-Spec 12lbs flywheel

-Retro-fit 00' Sentra A/C system

(Tune for new cam setup)

-------------------------------------------

So thats the timeline as it looks right now. The car should be running at full speed in the next 10 days on the stock turbo... big turbo setup will come a week or two after that. Keep in mind this is my daily driver, so im keeping things conservative and reliable. Not going for HUGE hp numbers, just a strong build.

***The BIG thing that Im missing from all of this right now is a good tuner. Im using a TEC3 standalone system, so its not rocket science to tune, I just dont know any tuners (I spent the past 3 years working on Rotary engines)

Hopefully everything goes smoothly, Im sure a few issues will pop up along the way but Ive budgeted in some "in-case-sh*t" money for the build.

Wish me luck guys!

• 4 weeks later...

Well after waiting a few weeks for all the parts to arrive, and getting some things done in the mean time, here is the progress so far.

+We have replaced the radiator with an oversized aluminum racing radiator from Jegs. The frame rails were pinched about 1/4" on each side up front to make room for it and act as a cradle/mount for the bottom of the radiator. The radiator was polished out before installing. We installed two 12" electric fans, tempuratures are nice and low even in stop and go traffic in the Miami heat and sun.

+The Procharger intercooler that I had was in good shape, just very dirty and covered in overspray from the PO. So that was polished out as well and looks great. This saved me a few bucks on buying a new FMIC.

+The intercooler piping was welded up, it is a beautful 1 piece tube from turbo to FMIC, and 1 piece to the throttle body. The piping is all 2.5" diameter and it only about 3 1/2 feet in length on both sides. That paired with the Procharger FMIC should make for very little lag with the larger turbo.

+The new fuel pump was installed, and it is now over pressurising the stock FPR, so the car runs extrememly rich for now. I am waiting on the NISMO FPR adaptor to come in the mail so i can run an external Aeromotive FPR and lean it out.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This week we are going to install the 280zxt gas tank and run new fuel lines, take care of the FPR issue, install all of the gauges ( AEM wideband, Autometer water temp/oil pressure/fuel level gauges ).

Next week the head will come off and goto the machiner to be polished and decked (taking .2mm off the head to compensate for the thicker gasket). Then when we get it back we'll port the head/exhaust, install the Tomei head gasket, bolt it up with the APR hardware and throw on the Greddy timing belt. The the Holset HY35 turbo will be bolted on, the Turbonetics evolution wastegate will be piped up, and the 525cc injectors will get dropped in.

Once all of that is finished the car will be driven up to Orlando to have the TEC-3 standalone system tuned by the madmen at Central Florida Turbo.

This should be a wrap by the end of January. I am shooting for ~400whp/tq. I think that goal should be attainable on this setup.

Past that I still am working on getting a R200 rear end to swap in, and eventually the head will come back off for the cams, cam gears and valve springs.

Interior mods, electronics, suspention and bodywork will follow this summer, as well as a new A/C system from a 00' sentra. For now I have no A/C and am sitting on Eibach springs and struts from the early 1990's. The car has hardley been driven though, so they'll hold up fine for now.

Pictures will be posted shortly andmore to come as the build continues. Stay tuned.

I lived in orlando for 2.5 yrs. Rolo at cft (central florida turb) in a good tuner but I personally don't like the way he tunes daily drivability, his wot is great though. For a better all around tune I recommend mark conte at real street performance. He has tuned many great cars and has worked closely with titan for a long time.

Soo, I see there's an rb Z in the Gables...

Welcome.. The car looks to good and seems to be in great shape. I think I'm one of the few members on here from Miami.

I read that you were looking for an r200. I just threw one away this weekend cause i was tired of it just sitting in my shed. If your still looking, I 'm taking the one out of my car in the next couple of weeks and will sell it to you cheap. PM me if your interested.

• 3 weeks later...

So its February, and the build isnt finished. What a suprise, these things never move along as expected.

Progress is still being made though. The head has been decked/polished and now is being ported. That will go back on early next week with the new gaskets and timing belt.

New turbo and wastegate is being piped up.

The block is getting pressure cleaned, the head is all cleaned, and the valve covers and spark cover have been painted black/orange to match the car. Looks sweet.

All of the new gauges are in the car. We retained a very factory look reusing the glass for the speedo and tach. Everything is very clean. More brackets need to be made as well as a new center dash piece and a surround for the shifter/center console. Some of the factory gauges will go back in as well in new locations.

The end is near! Im very excited to see what numbers Ill get on this build/turbo. Hoping for high 300's.

02-02-09_1445_thumb.jpg

02-02-09_1412_thumb.jpg

02-02-09_1414_thumb.jpg

02-02-09_1443_thumb.jpg

02-02-09_1444_thumb.jpg

Heres a few more pictures of the head work. Goes back on tomorrow and the new turbo gets piped up!

Intake side

DSCN3760.jpg

DSCN3759.jpg

Exhaust side

DSCN3761.jpg

Ported the header a bit

DSCN3765.jpg

Freshly Decked and polished head, cleaned up the valve are a bit too

DSCN3763.jpg

I have an appointment to get the car tuned at CFT in Orlando in 10 days. I cant wait.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Car hasn't been tuned yet... I just haven't had the time to get up to Orlando. Build is finished, I'll be posting pics in the next 2-3 days. It looks great, and sounds great. Its pretty darn fast and its running pig stinkin rich right now. Look for a new thread with final pics and dyno numbers shortly.

did you install that head?

don't install that head yet.

go to a small tool store that has automotive parts and buy a spring compressor type tool (twist clamp, or push-force style should work), and get some lapping paste and a hand valve grinding tool.

To redo the valve seats is costly, but at least freshen them up by lapping the valve seats. I did it in an afternoon on two heads and I just did a compression test on my z31 this afternoon. The valve seats were polished from factory, but obviously a little pitted from 21 years of abuse.

today they read 150psi across the board, 165 is max, 121 is minimum in the FSM specs.

It literally costs 50 bucks, and it's a worth while investment, with a beer or a coffee/tea or something to sip on between valves.

message me if you need advice. and you could also clean those combustion chambers up a bit too while you're at it. carbon flakes off while it gets heated and it will fly around for a bit or gunk up other nasty surfaces, like your turbine wheel an what not.

also, the intake ports are nicely roughed (i know it always looks a lot worse when the picture is taken with a sharp lense), but I would make the pattern more even.

It takes some nutts to do this to a project car by yourself. In my case it will be my daily, so I can appreciate the effort you put into even taking a grinder to the first port, believe me. LOL.

plus, when u get those valves out to lap the seats, you can blend the bowl where the seat is machined in, thats the area where you'll make some good juice!

of course, I may be telling you this for the future, since it may be on already. been 4 weeks anyhow.

• 2 weeks later...

Careless thanks for the advice, but the head as you guessed was already back on. Im confident that the porting I did and the cleaing up of the valve area was sufficient to see noticeable gains. I was only going for a mild port/polish on the head to free things up a bit. I think its flowing mighty fine.

Dyno tuning at Central Florida Turbo in about a week. Cant wait to see the final numbers.

Make sure and replace the Timing belt idler bolt with a hardened one!!!

just got make car on the road for the first time on friday.

Car made it to work and then sitting at idle the idler bolt snapped and trashed all the valves!!!

REPLACE THE BOLT!!!!!

I found 5 people on Nico who had the same problem...

Anyone have a spare rb20 head??

AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!~!!