HybridZ

big gearing problem with my R200!

N20Jeep

so, i finally decided to put the 280 in the air and check the gearing in the axle...i used the spin the tire and count the revolutions method. i know its not exact, but i wanted a ballpark figure...

after checking and rechecking about 6 or 7 times, i had my boss come over and get a second opinion...

it came out to be just about 2 driveshaft revolutions to make one tire revolution... so its saying i have around a 2.00:1 gearing!!!!

this cant be right, someone tell me im crazy and that they never made a gearset that low....:cry:

because with that gearing ill be shifting into second at 88mph, into 3rd at 145mph, and 3rd will run out of gear at 240mph...noooooway this can be right

As a rule of junkyard wisdom: hold one wheel solid [not a problem when it's mired in the mud] Scratch a line on the carrier housing to mark the location of one ujoint bolt head or nut. Rotate the free tire one complete rotation, while counting the turns of the driveshaft. Multiply the driveshaft turns by 2. In your case you would get "4" which would be either a 3.90 or 4.11. If it is just shy of two turns it is a 3.90 if it completes two turns it is a 4.11.

This is an approximate reading and you must know what ratios are available.

Estimate the fractions. If all else fails, pull the cover and do the long division from the pinion/ring gear tooth count engraved on the edge of the crown gear.

g

Holding one tire works OK if you have a 2:1 spider gear ratio. You can then do double the turns and that should give you the ratio. If your spider/side gear ratio is different, will give you different results. Easier would be to find an internet gear ratio calculator. Plug in your RPM, MPH, and tire diameter and get #. Or if the diff is out of the car, just pull the cover. Going to need an oil change, gear lube, and axle seals while it's out. Chances are your 2 to 1 is really closer to 4:1 which would be a 3.90 gearset, but that's just a guess.