HybridZ

Heater Inop, help please

yakimaz

I am having a problem and was wondering if someone knows the answer. My heater core is recieving hot antifreeze (I checked the lines to and from the heater control valve and they are the same temperature as the main radiator hose), but the fan still kicks air through. Is there a bypass or something for the air intake or would you recommend trying a new heater control valve first? I'm getting kind of tired of driving ace ventura style.

Knowing what year and model you have helps, but it sounds like a malfunctioning power valve. On my ZX with the crappy autotemp system I have to reach to the back of the dash in the drivers compartment right beside the heater box and push or pull the armeture going to the power valve (really it's a big vacuum diaphram) to change between hot and cold.

Consider that someone along the line may have dumped a load of BARS-LEAK or other leakstop into the radiator and not read the directions.

When someone does this without the heater being ON, the control valve becomes a nice place for the overage to settle out and totally plug the lines or valves. In some cases the stuff can actually plug the heater core.

That's something to check.