HybridZ

280 diff cv,s

garry

CV's are Constant Velocity joints and are used in place of universals (U-joints) on the newer Z cars. I didn't think that they were used on US cars until the '90 and newer 300ZX's which use an R230 differential. Either Gary has a modified 280ZX or the cars sent to Australia were configured differently than the US models

The 2+2 ZX cars and the turbo cars in the US got CV joint half shafts. The R200's are all about the same strength, but Nissan switched to 12mm ring gear bolts sometime. I have heard 82 and I have heard 87 but cannot confirm the 82 thing.

Guest Aaron

AFAIK, all 300zx's used CV shafts (they are too long to fit in the early cars however). All turbo 280ZX's used CV's. Some 2+2 280ZX's had CV's.

U jointed half shafts look like short drive shafts. CV shafts have a smaller diameter rod and have rubber boots over the CV joints.

NOTE: If you buy used CV shafts, inspect the boots for wear and cracks. Worn/Cracked boots should be replaced and the CV's cleaned and checked for excessive wear. It is a really bad thing for the CV's to go without grease. Spend the money for the NISSAN CV Boots. Even though they are harder to put on than some of the aftermarket ones, they will last longer, seal better, and come with everything you need to replace them including grease.