HybridZ

does any one know if the jtr book works on the 280zx

• Administrators

The book does not specifically cover the ZX, though the S-30 and S-130 are identical power train wise, have very similar engine bays, the JTR book will apply to the 280-ZX V-8 conversion, even if indirectly. The motor mounts, cooling system section, section for utilizing the factory gauges with the V-8 in the car such as oil pressure, water temp, tach, speedo, etc (JTR utilizes the factory oil pressure and water temp senders), all apply to the ZX directly.

As for what sections do not apply to the ZX, hopefully some of our members that have performed the JTR conversion in their ZX will share their experience.

Basically, if you are planning to V-8 your 280-ZX, you are MUCH better off WITH the JTR manual in hand than you are trying to wing it on your own, if only for the section with the diagrams for building your own motor and tranny mounts and the section on cooling, starters, transmissions, etc. The Price of admission is well worth it. wink.gif

I know the transmission mounts are different (at least JTR's mounts) between the two. The driver's side header can't just be any old shorty header on the ZX's because you have to work around the steering shaft. I have also been able to run mechanical fuel pumps with JTR's 280zx engine mounts and I don't think that's possible with their mounts for the Z's (so the engine mounts must be different also??). You don't have to buy a smaller harmonic balancer for the ZX like the conversion book says you do for the Z either... There's probably a few others that aren't coming to mind at the moment.

• 3 weeks later...

My 280ZX Conversion has been running now for 7+ years. The JTR "Z". manual was very helpful in understanding the overall swap in addition to electrical specifics. It would also be very helpful to have a Z service manual (Haynes is O.K. but the factory manual is better in my opinion). I made a 17 May 2001 post "ZX SBC Conversion using MSA Mounts" which included a laundry list of piece/parts I used for mine. I'd be happy to answer any questions once you have done more research.. Good Luck

Dan