HybridZ

Just had a problem......

kinknoppix

Hello I own a 280z l28 4 speed.stock. I never post, i just read....

I just took my car in 4th to 120mph and after i hit the speed i deaccelterated. I noticed when i got to the speed limit i could not get any power after that... Then my engine sounded like it wanted to retire...Maybe like a rod knocking or something...TERRIBLE.. I can get to 3000 rpm but thats all and thats how i drove it home... Anyone tell me what this might be? I think my motor is f**k...

Funny I didn't notice mine was valves until the crank was on the floor. :rolleyesg "While I was at it" set in at that point though.

lol now I dont feel as bad for stripping everything off the motor and just having the block and head before I thought to check the valve cover.

As soon as I pulled the crank out I realized that there was nothing there that was raising any eyebrows, it wasn't until I couldn't find the bottom end problem that I looked at the head. One of my valve clearances was about 0.080", wasn't tightened enough and let go at an autocross...

It was a GOOD lesson... Too much listening to other people's diagnosis, and not enough time formulating my own. ;)

As soon as I pulled the crank out I realized that there was nothing there that was raising any eyebrows, it wasn't until I couldn't find the bottom end problem that I looked at the head. One of my valve clearances was about 0.080", wasn't tightened enough and let go at an autocross...

It was a GOOD lesson... Too much listening to other people's diagnosis, and not enough time formulating my own. ;)

Any HARD engine problem (read: not fuel/spark related) gets a valvetrain inspection and a compression check in my book, just because you never know.

Wow, that sounds totally prickish and "I told you so!" but that was not the intent :) hopefully the apology will make my intent clear :ass: