HybridZ

Nuteral safety switch????

Dragonfly

Do the early z cars have a nuteral safety switch? My car (72' 240) does not have one and I do not recall ever seeing an early z with one.

I was told during a tech inspection that they will let me slide this time but next time I will be failed. If anyone knows how to retro fit one please let me know.

Dragonfly

I wish you were correct but it is a manual transmission, the tech inspector had me turn the key with the car in gear and without the clutch engaged, the car of course lurched forward and that was when he had to go to someone else who had the authority to sign off my tech sheet whith this discrepancy.

They refered to it as a nuteral safety switch because they probably (like myself) did not know what else to call it. I would expect that a factory switch for something like that would either be on the clutch pedal (like the brake light switch on the brake pedal) or somewhere on the transmission and the only wires on the tranny are for the reverse lights and I have not seen any kind of switch etc. around the clutch pedal.

I guess what I would like to know is if anyone else who is running an L series engine with a manual Z tranny is able to engage the starter without depressing the clutch.

Thanks

Dragonfly

Guys,

My 73 240Z with 4spd from the factory had neutral safety switch wiring that interrupts the signal from the key switch to the starter solenoid if not in neutral. I simply used the wires that go to the stock neutral safety switch on the Datsun 4spd, to the one on my Tremec 5spd. I'd imagine most trannies have theses switches installed.

I'd NEVER have a manual car without either a neutral safety switch or a clutch switch that disabled the starter unless the clutch was depressed.

Pete,

I have been all over the car looking for the wires and or switch in which you describe and I have not found it, after re reading your post about 6 times I remembered that I have an FSM so when I get home I am going to crack that thing open and see what it says.

If I can't make any headway from the FSM I will be hitting you guys up tommorow for ideas about how to wire in a starter interupt switch for the clutch.

Thanks

Dragonfly

Miles,

You're back!! For good...or just temporarily?

Tim

BTW, My 73 also has the wires for such an application, but I have never connected them. They are right next to the reverse light switch on my 5 speed (which should be the same on the 4 speed).

Pete: I kinda disagree with your opinion on always having such a safety switch. I have never had this function before and am in the habit of shaking the gearlever in neutral before even putting the key in the ignition. I find the clutch switch a PITA, especially when starting the car when tuning by sticking my arm through the window.

It seems to me that if one doesn't have the presence of mind to check the gear before starting, then drive an auto :D .....just an opinion though...

Tim

Tim, I've seen enough fairly sharp individuals in the heat of the moment try to start their car with it in gear - without a nuetral safety switch - and watched it move forward out of their control.

I know that I USUALLY am thinking about everything I'm doing, but not always. I dare say ANYONE is infalable and that neutral safety switch will someday save them embarassment and/or bodywork!

My '66 Mustang will start un any gear - there is no "safety switch" on either the clutch pedal nor the gearshift linkage. And it's all stock. The latest car I've driven without such frills was my dad's '70 Maverick.

I've limped into a few gas stations using the starter motor rolleyesg.gif when the tank was down to fumes!!!

Guest Anonymous

I am assuming your query concerns an automatic transmission 240 Z. I would also assume all automatics produced by Datsun had electical nuetral safety switchs attached to the automatic shifters to prevent the car starting only in park or nuetral selections. Your switch maybe removed,defective or disconnected. Switches should all be similar for the first generation Zees. Get a good repair manual and check this out since my knowledge goes only this far.

I have a 70 240 and for the life of me I don't know it has a neutral safety switch.

Guess I have been driving manuals so long that I never try to start it w/o putting in the clutch.

Interestingly the MSA catalog doesn't list clutch safety switches, so no help there.

Never the less, it should be a simple matter to rig one up. Get a switch off a 73+ OR just get a brake light switch, rig up a bracket next to the clutch pedal, then put the switch in line between the ignition switch and the starter.

Guest Mr. Big Business

My '86 Honda Civic (4 speed) never had one. In VA, you only have to have one if the car originally came with it.

Henry

Last night I spent some time going through the FSM and I found the switch mentioned twice, once in an exploded view of the transmission with no info and again on the very last page of the body electrical section. In the body electrical section it did not tell you the location of the switch but it did tell you what color the wires are and how to test the switch for continuity.

Sometime in the next day or so I will have to put the car up on jack stands and see if I can find the elusive switch.

Tim... I'm back but I don't know how often I will be able to post. I have all kinds of stuff to say and talk about but I can only get away with the time on things that are more pertinant than the stuff I like to post in the "I'm tellin ya" section. BTW it makes me feel good to know that I was missed.

Dragonfly

Guest Anonymous

My 72 had it, but it was an automatic. The wires are black with a yellow tracer and the reverse lights are red with a blue tracer.

Regards,

Lone

I'm pretty sure that the neutral safety switch thing on stick shift cars began sometime in the early 70s. Some car makers may have known about some of the impending regs before they became mandatory and implemented them a little early. I remember having several older cars that broke clutch linkages, leaving me stranded, and doing the "put it in gear and start it" scenario to get going from a dead stop. No safety switches involved there.

Mike Mileski

Tucson, AZ