HybridZ

Basic tail light swap

DriftZ

Hey guys, searched for tail light swaps, there is a ton of info but nothing that pertains to this simple question.

Can you swap the 83 taillights for the 80 taillights? Will the older tail lights bolt in or are modifications required?

2281236_41_full.jpg

Want to swap these in....

771229_127_full.jpg

Instead of these...

I've done it on my car, but from the old tails to the new ones, they were a DIRECT bolt in, even the connectors were alright! the only thing you have to make sure of, though, is that you get the matching backing plate (the thing that holds them to the car) as they are different, but other than that, they are in fact a direct bolt in ;)

I've even got my old set still, if you're interested ;)

I'm going to have to swap out my drivers side one of these days (electrical tape covering the hole won't last forever)...I looked back there, and after taking off all the screws and gently pushing/prodding, I couldn't get my tail light to budge. I have a feeling the rubber gasket may by fused to the body perhaps? Have you guys had any issues getting them off and dealing with a "sticky" tail light? And do the gaskets hold up well? I don't think places like Black dragon sell the ZX tails gaskets....

Thanks Sir!!

You know, I tried that exact method before - I guess I didn't push hard enough (and was worried about ruining the gasket since I don't yet have a replacement tail in hand).

Cheers - see you 'round (this board and others :) )