HybridZ

Output shaft spinning in neutral

Careless

Hi ladies and gents,

So I finally got my trans back on. Started the car up for the first time since june with some comp-cams break in lube (thick like molasses!) and some Rotella T just for the first hundred or so miles.

No exhaust, but it smells of gas, and gas only.

Rad was topped off and air was bled. No bubbles, no coolant burning, no oily residue anywhere that I had cleaned.

BUT, my transmission still won't let me in and out of gear. With the car on jackstands, and the driveshaft not in place I can feel the output shaft spinning, my car is doing 13 km/h and I'm not on the gas.

This was the same issue I had before I took the entire thing to pieces and took the trans off.

I'm kinda sadenned by it cause I wanted to drive it before new years, but I'm glad I did the porting and headgaskets, rebuilt nearly everything on the engine except for the rings/bearings, and oil pump.

I just don't want to be surprised when the transmission comes off and there's something in there that's going to be costly to fix. Atleast if some of you know what the problem may be (or have had similar issues), I could get a headstart.

The shifter shakes violently and there is a new clutch and flywheel.

It's my 87 Turbo with FS5R30A.

halp plez? :(

So's i topped off the trans with some Redline MT90, drained the crap stuff.

I started it and realized that I couldn't do an "air-run" to check all the gear changes cause my 3 and 6 spark plug wires were pooched! got that solved and it idled like a dream!

then I rode through the gears on the stands with no problems other than getting used to the half-weight flywheel... kinda scary getting drive-train shudders on 4 jacks, 2 feet off the ground! :shock:

The real test comes on new years day when I put the exhaust on and torque down the flywheel bolts and hand brake.

Gotta put the heat shield onto the brake booster and fan shroud on for now with the clutch fan that isnt... clutchin. lol

(got my fan controller and a ford wonder-fan :mrgreen:)

Will see how she be.

thanks for the crossed fingers. if we cross all of em and add em up, we got a total of like... 12 fingers! :eek:

:shock: :shock:

You must be kidding!!!! Torque down the flywheel bolts?!!!! :shock: And you wonder why it vibrates the shifter!!!! :hs:

Man i was thinking the same thing???? did you really run it with loose flywheel bolts???? I had my flex plate bolts back out on me on the dyno (always use locktite) and it vibrated like a mofo.....

I MEANT DRIVESHAFT BOLTS!

lol sorry to alarm everyone. My head is still attached to my neck, and shoulders.

I had just snugged the DS bolts up because they're hard to get to, so in the event that they had to be removed it wouldn't be so difficult. But I'm tightening them on tonight for good (crosses fingers).

The flywheel bolts are torqued to 80ft lbs as per manual.

And you wonder why it vibrates the shifter!!!! :hs:

It vibrates the shifter because the car was misfiring. bad plug wire on 5 and 6. now seems like 6 intermittently.

Also took some getting used to while air-driving the car. shuddering while in gear. Found out it's the fidanza flywheel just doing what it's doing... BEING LIGHT!!! gotta give it a bit more loud pedal.

Well, you had some of us wondering there for awhile.

no worries. I even loctited my valves to my seats and my valve cover bolts so i can never get to them. and I also loctited my turbo shaft so it doesnt spin.

I don't want this car to go anywhere once it's working good! :shifty:

:icon45:

no worries. I even loctited my valves to my seats and my valve cover bolts so i can never get to them. and I also loctited my turbo shaft so it doesnt spin.

I don't want this car to go anywhere once it's working good! :shifty:

:icon45:

Hey, least that will reduce "ware and tare"!

Don't forget to grease the brakes and friction disk.

found my timing was way out too! aligned it to the opposite end of the balancer marks!

Idles a little high at 900 @ 15* BTDC, instead of 750 in the manual... I suspect it's from the lightweight flywheel.

RUNS LIKE A PEACH THOUGH! :D