HybridZ

hy35 turbo with no intercooler? what psi?

7MGFORCE

MJ, what is HIN? Also, were the cars that were stopped pre-1975 or even pre-1980?

Hot Import Nights, and it appeared they were just stopping cars at random. I would imagine that with smog exempt cars they cannot send you to a state ref, maybe just give fixit tickets, I do not know for sure. Point is its still illegal just easier to get away with. Even with cars that do have to be smogged it isnt that hard, you just have to pay a little extra around smog time, and dont be a dick to cops when they pull you over.

Hot Import Nights, and it appeared they were just stopping cars at random. I would imagine that with smog exempt cars they cannot send you to a state ref, maybe just give fixit tickets, I do not know for sure. Point is its still illegal just easier to get away with. Even with cars that do have to be smogged it isnt that hard, you just have to pay a little extra around smog time, and dont be a dick to cops when they pull you over.

I know that it is illegal to tamper with emission control devices even for pre-1975 cars. I was more interested in whether or not pre-1975 "classic" cars were being harassed. You can still have random checking, but they give the "classics" a pass.

There are elements to each side of the argument.

The CHP is getting training to notice FMIC's on Hondas as 'modifications' and probable cause for a stop.

Thing is they are also being told gauge pods on the A Pillar, Aftermarket Wheels, and a lowered ride height are also reasons for probable cause to stop and inspect.

Got a tail light out? Then they got you no matter what.

But as far as an L28ET 'looking stock and passing a roadside inspection' that's wrong as well.

They will check the VIN plate in the engine compartment, and compare it to the Block Serial Number. If they don't match, and the swap has not been registered with the DMV (as required by the applicable section of the CVC) then it's an 'illegal engine change' and subjects your car for immediate impound.

That little impound/crushing incident out in Moreno Valley last year happened less than 7 miles from my house, and that is exactly what they did: Compared VIN to records of Engine S/N's recorded to that VIN. That is what the cops kept referring to as 'illegal engines'.

Fixit? Huh huh huh... not hardly. They send you to the referee for verification of the smog compliant status of your vehicle.

I got news, there are NO EXEMPT VEHICLES in private hands (generally speaking) when it comes to smog. The only thing you are exempt from is biannual testing. You are still required to comply with emissions requirements, even though you don't have to test.

Any car may be commanded to appear at a designated referee station or test-only station at any time. It's called 'random out-of-cycle compliance check'. And the roadside check/referrals? No exemption from them either.

The CHP has had that authority since at least 1954. It's nothing new.

So many internet myths being bantered about...what shall we do???

Oh, and highest unintercooled boost I ran on my 73 before getting an intercooler was 21psi. Just to make my thread on-topic.

Somewhat.

The CHP is getting training to notice FMIC's on Hondas as 'modifications' and probable cause for a stop.

Thing is they are also being told gauge pods on the A Pillar, Aftermarket Wheels, and a lowered ride height are also reasons for probable cause to stop and inspect.

But as far as an L28ET 'looking stock and passing a roadside inspection' that's wrong as well.

They will check the VIN plate in the engine compartment, and compare it to the Block Serial Number. If they don't match, and the swap has not been registered with the DMV (as required by the applicable section of the CVC) then it's an 'illegal engine change' and subjects your car for immediate impound.

That little impound/crushing incident out in Moreno Valley last year happened less than 7 miles from my house, and that is exactly what they did: Compared VIN to records of Engine S/N's recorded to that VIN. That is what the cops kept referring to as 'illegal engines'.

Fixit? Huh huh huh... not hardly. They send you to the referee for verification of the smog compliant status of your vehicle.

I got news, there are NO EXEMPT VEHICLES in private hands (generally speaking) when it comes to smog. The only thing you are exempt from is biannual testing. You are still required to comply with emissions requirements, even though you don't have to test.

Any car may be commanded to appear at a designated referee station or test-only station at any time. It's called 'random out-of-cycle compliance check'. And the roadside check/referrals? No exemption from them either.

Oh, and highest unintercooled boost I ran on my 73 before getting an intercooler was 21psi. Just to make my thread on-topic.

Somewhat.

You are right, there are loopholes in these rules. For instance, a LD20et or an LD28 diesel engine in a pre 1975 vechicle is smog exempt in California. A diesel swap would be a clean bill of health from the smog ref.

To also keep on topic , my setup does not use an intercooler. Well it uses a chemical rather than a physical one , my first setup used a simple Spearco water injection system with a 60/40 alcohol /water mix with a small T4 turbo the setup made 275 rwh @ 12 psi. The most recent setup used two 1600cc fuel injectors controlled by the secondary injector output on the AEM EMS. The injectors sprayed 100% methanol (with Klotz Uplon) and provided 35% of the total fuel under boost. This method dropped intake temps dramatically, a typical drop would be 150* at the onset of boost to 60* intake temps with the temps dropping more the longer the methanol was being sprayed.

The current setup will use E85 with six 1600cc injectors on the intake manifold and an additional two in the intake tubing providing 100% of the fuel under boost.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2071134/7

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2071134/5

Somewhat.

ive read that the new rules is motor swap must be from the same family ae:nissan to nissan toyota to toyota and that if its originaly a l6 then swap must be a l6? so that means a ls1 with all smog equip in a 260z(74) cannot be legalize?

just curious since i was thinking of going stock ls1 and getting it Legalized and get a stamp.

ive read that the new rules is motor swap must be from the same family ae:nissan to nissan toyota to toyota and that if its originaly a l6 then swap must be a l6? so that means a ls1 with all smog equip in a 260z(74) cannot be legalize?

just curious since i was thinking of going stock ls1 and getting it Legalized and get a stamp.

That is the most ridiculous thing I've heard in awhile.

The "family" in this case is light vehicle or heavy vehicle. The ref at VVC told us the rule of thumb was that a "light vehicle" is anything smaller than a 1-ton pickup, inclusive.

Of course, the best option is to call the ref you'd be working with and ask them whether they believe it would be legal. Be prepared with detailed information on both vehicles ready (donor and recipient), and remember that many-if-not-most late-model vehicles include the stock transmission as "required emissions equipment"!

Hyuri has the family concept down. You can put most anything into anything as long as it's in the same family.

You can't put a Detroit 4-71 into a Datsun 1200 Truck, they won't pass it. But it flies on the salt! LOL

The Diesel Option is also correct. You can do a diesel conversion and pretty much duck everything but a smoke check.

Importing a current-technology BMW Turbodiesel would make for a nice running and high-mileage capable Z! That 2.0 Turbodiesel in Frank280ZX's car was pumping over 325 ft-lbs of torque and something like 215HP when it was finished with the chip and boost upgrade (188 and something like 288ft-lbs of torque with just the chip and stock boost!) That would make a Z scoot. Pushed that M3 (320) to over 250kph! Quiet and efficient. Close to 40mpg in some cases.

I'd do it. Hell, I still got to get up to Ray's place to pick up his diesel conversion cast-off stuff for my 280Z conversion for the commuter Z. A 280Z with an LD28 and Air Conditioning...

Though, frankly, I'm thinking a 280ZX with power steering, automatic, and A/C could be a nice conversion to diesel as well. If only I could get the fuel pump and turbo bits for the LD28T, I'd go THAT route and be happy happy happy!

ive got a simple (but stupid) solution (that should only be taken as a joke)

if you are worried about the legality of your car then build it faster so they cant inspect your car.

(keep in mind this is a joke) (i do not condone running from the law) (unless you have a valid reason) (which i doubt)