HybridZ

TIG Question

waddiejohn

I've got a Lincoln Square Wave 175 with the soft start feature and I'm thinking of buying an Amptroller to mount on the torch. Has anyone used one of these?

If so, is it as easy to use as the foot control?

Any thoughts or comments are appreciated.

John

I've got a Lincoln Square Wave 175 with the soft start feature and I'm thinking of buying an Amptroller to mount on the torch. Has anyone used one of these?

If so, is it as easy to use as the foot control?

Any thoughts or comments are appreciated.

John

It's kind of hard to roll the amperage up and not move the torch. I ended up splicing a momentary contact button in. This way I would use the button for on-off and the rheostat for trimming the amperage. I mostly welded aluminum so button welding was my method of choice anyway.

derek

I use a thumb wheel at work wearing gloves. I'd prefer to use a foot pedal, but I don't have the luxury of sitting, or even being in a predictable position.

Having said that, I would prefer a foot pedal.

Also, a momentary switch is nice, it's almost impossible to crank the thumb wheel down quickly when finishing a pass. So you end up with goofy arc control, and more heat than you need. You can help by having your machine setup as high as it goes, so you don't have to turn up the thumb wheel as much.

John C., what do you mean by " set the machine into two step ".

I should have said 4 step. Step on amptrol then release, power to the torch. Step on amptrol and then release again, power off the torch. The torch gets whatever power is set on the machine, no fine adjustment with the amptrol. I set the power settings lower when welding this way and will move the torch slower to get the penetration I might need.