HybridZ

So I've got an S30 that no one will buy, and a VG30DE..

So yeah, I've got an S30 thats been for sale for about 6 months now, with no serious offers, and I also have a spare VG30DE chillin in my garage... I also have a harness and ECU.

I have searched but can't find anyone who has actually done this swap before, without adding turbos to the setup. The L28 in my Datsun has a bent valve, and is thus dead to me, so I wanna stick the Z32 motor in there, but I'm not sure how I would make the trans work, or even what transmission to use... I don't know if the Z32 motor will mount to the S30 transmission, or if I have to get a Z32 tranny...

Anyone else think this is worth looking into? Or should I just junk the S30 for $50 and save the NA motor for when my 500WHP Z32 motor takes a dive...

any light shed will be a step in the right direction for me.

thanks

idk. i'm sick of the L28. whats a new valve cost?

and i'm not gonna junk it. I want the car to go to a home where it will be used, but I figured, since I had the motor, and the car, why not...? I dont really wanna go through the hassle of fixing the L28 just to get 130 horses.. idk. I guess i'm just wierd like that.

Your reasoning doesnt make sense....you are concerned about the horspower of a car that hasnt run in 6 months AND you want to sell ......so you want to go through the trouble of an engine swap?????

You need to sit down and set your priorities. To sell or not to sell.....

If you come up with sell....fix the valve, sell the car and move on.

Fix the 2.8 and drive it until you have everything you need for the VG30DE swap.

Heck, then you could sell a running motor to help with the VG swap expenses.

You just need to figure out what you want to do. First you asked if you should junk it, then you said that you are not going to.

Sit down and figure out what you want to do and make a budget for it.

The vg30de has been put into a s30. ZR8TED did it.

this is what I was looking for. thanks!

and, yeah, i'm not too hellbent on selling it... if someone wants to buy it, they can, but if no one does, then i'll just keep effing around with it....

lol my priorities are:

Fix rust/dents on Z32

Paint Z32

Buy 720cc kit for Z32

Get Z32 dyno tuned

tow datsun into garage/forget about it for a while

decide to swap/fix engine and keep/sell. either way, not really on my front burner.

Fix the 2.8 and drive it until you have everything you need for the VG30DE swap.

Heck, then you could sell a running motor to help with the VG swap expenses.

You just need to figure out what you want to do. First you asked if you should junk it, then you said that you are not going to.

Sit down and figure out what you want to do and make a budget for it.

I think BunnySlippers is right on the money here, fix the 2.8, drive it and and after you have all the parts for the vg30 swap install it, it would be easier thats just me 2 cents, Im in swaping a vg30det, yes, single turbo in one of my s30, you got to do lots of fab.

First of all, my question if I were an interested buyer would be the money factor to work needed comparison. How much work does the car need and how much would I spend more to make it run and look decent? Basically, how much are you selling it for the kind of work and restoration it requires?

Another opinion you may or may not want...

You have a VG30DE, as in NOT TT, as in not easy or inexpensive to make big power with?

I fudguesstimate that you would be better off, in terms of downtime, AND expense and maybe even power levels, if you threw your time and effort into building up your L28.

you got to do lots of fab.

all good points. if there is a ton of work involved making the VG30DE work,then i'll just use it for parts for my 93TT... or sell it outright.

maybe in the spring i'll look into fixing the valve. Hell maybe I'll buy a turbo head and go from there...

to make this car look great and run good, your looking at a ton of investment (frame is rotting>...) so I really don't wanna pour too much into it, or make it that powerful. Just something to dink around with.... or part out..

1.head set $100

2.head rebuild $200 (includes replacing the valve,seat and guide)

3.labor, free if you do it yourself, $300 if you have it done.

4. 6 or 700 hundreds bucks total

5.price to install a Vg30XX into a S30 chassis when you don't really know what you're getting into, ONE ZILLION DOLLARS

6. You figure it out!

1.head set $100

2.head rebuild $200 (includes replacing the valve,seat and guide)

3.labor, free if you do it yourself, $300 if you have it done.

4. 6 or 700 hundreds bucks total

5.price to install a Vg30XX into a S30 chassis when you don't really know what you're getting into, ONE ZILLION DOLLARS

6. You figure it out!

7. Running vg30DE in S30, after installing with only a stick welder and scrap iron... priceless....