HybridZ

Coil Packs With Built-In Ignitors

X64v

Does anyone know of any 6 cyl. wasted spark coil packs with built-in ignitors? I'm going to have MS run my coils instead of using the EDIS-6 module, but the Ford and GM wasted spark coil packs that I know of don't have ignitors/drivers built in. To run those, I'd have to put 3 BIP373s (the new VB921s) in the MS box, along with perhaps an extra connector, which I don't really want to do. The LSx truck coils would be perfect, but they're out of my price range.

My other idea was to use a separate ignitor pack, something like the Z32 PTU. Does anyone have a pin-out on that module, or know of another one that might work?

• Administrators
  • 2 weeks later...
I thought LS1 coils had built in ignitor?

Trying to figure out if its worth installing LS1 coils on MS or just sticking with EDIS instead?

I just saw 8 coils go for $75 on ebay, missed them!

Yes, they have built in ignitors that take a 5 volt signal. They may have a hotter spark than the EDIS coils, but EDIS is surprisingly hot too so if you aren't blowing out the spark or hitting the EDIS rev limiter you may not gain any power. You will, however, get the ability to do a spark cut rev limiter and certain other tricks that EDIS can't do.

• 3 weeks later...

I found a full 3000gt/stealth ignition setup for pretty cheap. Similar idea with the PTU. I also got a good condition coil pack. Think the whole thing set me back $40-50 shipped. Asked specifically for all the original plugs so i can keep it stock looking.

Ebay didn't have the greatest deals, and the items on there weren't selling at listed price.

So instead i messaged an ebay member telling him exactly what i needed and what i wanted to pay. Lots of them have the whole car, and after one or 2 auctions doesn't sell, they'll let you have it. Or check local junk yards/craigslist for parting out vehicles.

PS. This ignition system is pretty stout too...perhaps not as good as the LS1 coils, but still very good for a stock system...typically still sparking on the mitsu engines up past 20psi. There's also a lot of good info the the mitsu forums, where i found out the optimal dwell times and whatnot.

Anyways, I'm rambling now.

My setup is for my rb25det :)

Mark

• 4 weeks later...
...i found out the optimal dwell times and whatnot.

I ended up grabbing a set of 3000gt coil packs off eBay for super cheap, and buying 3x BIP373s from DIY to run them. What dwell times did you find for these? I've seen 4ms thrown around but haven't seen any proof of that number.

I ended up grabbing a set of 3000gt coil packs off eBay for super cheap, and buying 3x BIP373s from DIY to run them. What dwell times did you find for these? I've seen 4ms thrown around but haven't seen any proof of that number.

Well...i checked my sources again (which was the 3si forum), and they had actual measured of the Stock system at 5ms at idle dropping to 4.3ms at about 2k on up.

That said...this is where i got my inspiration from...

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=137151

And he's using the same coils with megasquirt. Following his guidelines, i'd say start at 3.6ms as well and move up if the coils aren't getting too hot. Chances are it should be fine going up to 4.3ms, but just ease into it to be sure.

Mark

Get the OEM Mitsubishi module for that coil pack and save yourself a lot of headaches.

The easiest way to determine the correct max dwell is to measure it on the original running engine it came on. That is fine for max dwell, but what about coil discharge time? The best thing to do is characterize the max dwell and coil discharge time on the bench with a scope and a pulse generator.

I can do this for you. PM me if interested.

Pete