HybridZ

240z 5-speed transmission

soullessjdog

It seems to me that most likely this transmission is either:

FS5C71-A: Fairlady Z (Long tail)

Or it's one of these and has been adapted for use on the L Series engine:

FS5C71-A: 2000 Sports AKA Fairlady Roadster (Short tail)

F5C71-A: Nissan Competition Option 1 or Option 2 gearbox

That doesn't mean that it isn't out of something else entirely though (like a C10 Skyline).

Like has already been suggested twice, check the gear ratios. That's the only way you will be able to tell which it is.

The other day I re-edited my last post to include the 5th gear ratios of each of these transmissions.

Info is a little scarce for these transmissions, but it seems they all came with a 0.852 5th gear.

Here's a good page I found with many Nissan transmission gear ratios available.

http://www.gracieland.org/cars/techtalk/gearing2.html

That's the best guess I have on what this transmission could be. soullessjdog will have to provide some more info before I could make any more educated guesses about his mystery gearbox.

If you get approximate drive ratios and cannot find any near match, I can check some of my uncle's roadster gearboxes for comparison.. Its kind of a cumbersome affair to do, though, so I would rather avoid tearing into all that if you can find comparable info online.

Hell, I've got one of these roadster 5 spds and newly rebuilt matching driveshaft (lengthened for the setback diff) that I'd like to part with. It came out of my 240Z that was modified many years ago using BRE/Interpart pieces in a shop in CA. I recently replaced it with a KA 5 spd conversion.

I could not imagine a 240z with a 4 speed. Here in Australia they where all 5 speed or 3 speed auto

...just, don't use fifth.

I had a clutch master and slave both go bad on mine a few months before my fire. I replaced the master with a cheap part, and didn't compare them as closely as I should have. When I finished the job, the clutch would not fully disengage. In the end, I swapped a used master out of another car into mine and it worked great; something was different in the linkage bar. However, on the way to ruling that out (because I DID compare the old versus new, apparently just not enough?) we swapped in a four speed trans that we were able to get our hands on for free. (A friend had it, but we had given it to them in the first place.) So, when the trans didnt fix it, eventually the clutch master did.. but by this time I had had my car down for about a week and it was a DD; no time to put the fivespeed back in. so I got to drive around the fourspeed for several months, and I never really DID get 100% out of the habit of trying to shift into fifth.

It REALLY makes you feel like you're driving an antique.

Thing is all the five speed cars came with 3.9's instead of the US Spec 3.36 gears. Driving a non-US spec car is like driving someone's car from here that has already upgraded the differential.

The Four Speeds outside the USA came with a 3.7 gearset. Still better than the 3.36.

Fairlady Z's with those little Buzzy 2 liters? Anything was available from 3.7 to 4.38 STOCK!

Woo Hoo! Proper Gearing for the Engine's Operational Torque Curve!

My 240Z has an early Nismo R180 LSD w/ 4.10:1 r&p to go with the roadster 5 speed. It is definitely zippy with that combo. When I fitted the KA conversion the shifter lined up perfectly with the tunnel hole just like the early 5 speed did. I only had to modify the trans mount.

On Post #10 look at the first picture;

If you put a 260z Type B transmission into a 1970 240z (that had type A) the shifter ends up moving forward (most people trim hole for shifter).

If you put a Type A 240z transmission into a 260z, why didn't the shifter end up moving towards the rear?

Do I have something backwards?