HybridZ

R230 Install

Tim240z

Well,

I got my solid driveshaft on Friday, and got to work on Sat. Morning. I was horrified to see how far out the gearbox and R230 were (the Driveshaft is straight to .08").

Well, needless to say I had to modify the tranny mount and basically start over on the diff mount, but all is done, and although I couldn't get the alignment 100%, it is only a ball hair out, probably straighter than any OEM setup.

Pics were uploaded this morning. Sorry to say that FreeServers won't allow image linking, so you'll hafta go to the page if you want to see.

I should have my adapters this week (maybe tomorrow), then I can measure and order my sideshafts 2thumbs.gif:D .

Pics page

Tim

Originally posted by Tim240Z:

Pics were uploaded this morning. Sorry to say that FreeServers won't allow image linking, so you'll hafta go to the page if you want to see.

Pics page

Tim

No wonder they don't allow linking, then they couldn't do the 3 or 4 popup windows for advertising :rolleyes:

That is some very nice work there - truly the most bullet-proof IRS one can bolt in. (Keeping in mind the C4 vette IRS is not "bolt-in").

No wonder they don't allow linking, then they couldn't do the 3 or 4 popup windows for advertising

Yeah SleeperZ, they get you hooked on their service, and after uploading all your stuff they change the rules on you to get you to pay up....bastards!!! twak.giftwak.gifmalebitchslap.gif

Tim

Guest Anonymous

Tim....As always amazing ingenuity. I never could understand tranny/drive shaft/diff angles phasing(?) but a solid drive shaft... that I understand! Only one way to go and that is the right way.

BTW,

I no longer need this driveshaft (solid one), so I would be more than willing to "loan" it out.

It is 27 inches long (from the base of the splines - where it meets the u-joint housing to the mating face of the diff side flange).

It would likely work with other diffs (providing the length works) even though the flange won't bolt up, it will give a very good idea by looking at the gap between the driveshaft flange and the diff flange.

Obviously shipping from and back to me would be on y'all.

Thought I would put it out there.

Tim

Tim240z, are you planning to sell the flange adaptors any time soon? if so I`m interested. I could have them made by a friend who is a machinist, but if the price is right I`ll take a pair of yours. I`m in no big hurry,I just like to keep the ball rollin ;)

Moby,

The solid driveshaft is perfectly straight, but the diff and gearbox are not perfectly aligned (not easily possible), but I had the driveshaft made straight so that I know exactly where I stand on alignment.

Denny:

The flange adapters can be available anytime, the price is going to depend on how many orders come in (group purchase)....Probably somewhere in the region of 250 or so, or a bit less if there is enough interest....I haven't discussed this with my machinist at length yet, but that is what he said in passing.

Tim

I'm interested but mostly interested in someone coming up with a mostly bolt-in "kit". I've STILL not gotten off of my butt to do the ZXT CVs on my R200 but the puddle of gear oil under the diff can't be good last I looked. Work to be done there but tough to get motivated :(

Denny,

Depends on your transmission type (length) and engine placement. I am having my final shaft made 27 inches long, so I'm sure that 32 inches will give you PLENTY of room to cut, but why put the cart before the horse?

Tim

I got a real good deal on all of the parts, the yard I`m dealing with is going strictly european, and clearing out all Japanese inventory. i can get the shaft now for about 15 bucks + shipping.

I should have less than 375.00 in the diff,4 shafts and the driveshaft, including shipping some pieces they didn`t have off while I was there.