HybridZ

Job Searching / Relocation / Unemployment Opinions Wanted

tfreer85

A little background: I worked 1.5 years as a Fire/ 911 / EMS Person for Bakersfield City Fire Department, then left to attempt schooling again in Los Angeles. After a years time in school, and not liking it, but not finishing it (with one class left to take for an AA). I moved back from LA to Bakersfield, I picked up an Extra-help job with the Kern County Fire Department as a Fire / 911 / EMS personell with promises every month to be hired on full time. That drug on for 6 months, getting the worst shifts possible. Doing swing shifts from graveyards to days in a one day turn around. I have had my chain yanked for 6-months and put up with it for the promise of a full-time position. The com-center I worked at was 8 people understaffed. Due to budget crises across California, across Kern County, Bakersfield City, etc. I've been laid off.

Currently: I'm looking for a job anywhere that pays about $20+ an hour. so I'm spamming places like Arizona, Oregon, Washington, places I'd possibly want to live. Most pay better than what I was getting paid 19.03/hr. Mostly I'm applying for 911 / Emergency Dispatch Centers, even though they aren't the ideal career job. My wife is working at Kay Jewelers and put her education on hold. My biggest priority besides providing for my family, is to get her back in school to finish her schooling (appx 1 year left).

Where you guys come in:

I'm wanting your guys' opinions. About the places to live in said states or other states, about what jobs you might have seen. About the local Z guys. Or if by off chance you need an honest hard working employee, who learns quickly, I've included a resume. I would ideally like to be in fabrication or manufacturing of some sort for custom products in any material, but have book experience only. I'm also open to any legitimate ideas on what to do. Also if any of you feel inclined, your prayers are more than welcome.

Thanks for reading hybridz community!

Resume

Tyson W. Freer

2520 Ashe Rd. Apt D,

Bakersfield, CA 93309

OBJECTIVE: To obtain a full time job with potential for career movement.

EDUCATION:

Graduated from Centennial high school 2004

• Took all Honors classes

• Selected class representative for Hugh O’Brian Youth Leadership Program

Attended Bakersfield College: 2004-2005

• General Education requirements

Attended CSUB: Fall 2005

• Lower Division Liberal Arts

Attended Santa Monica City College: 2007-2008

• General Education for AA in Liberal Arts

EXPERIENCE:

Freer Construction

Accountant Assistant 1999-2003

• Used Quick Books Pro and Microsoft Excel

• Helped with any Computer Related Problems

Pioneer Mercantile

Parts Puller 2006

• Part management for multiple incoming orders

Bakersfield Fire Department Dispatcher

Fire/EMS Dispatcher I: 2006-2007

• Required to handle multiple radio channels at one time

• Emergency Medical Service provided over the telephone

• Managed several Fire/Emergency units/personnel

Kern County Fire Department Dispatcher I

Fire/EMS Dispatcher I: 2008-2009

• Required to handle multiple radio channels at one time

• Emergency Medical Service provided over the telephone

• Managed several Fire/Emergency units/personnel

Computer Experience:

• Proficient in Microsoft Office programs and Computer Aided Dispatch (CAD)

• Basic Skills: Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Dreamweaver 8, HTML Experience with both PCs and MACs

References furnished upon request.

San Antonio, TX is nice. It's not as pretty as some areas but it's very nice and the community is great. The cost of living is low and there are things to do in the area too. There are places to hunt and fish... lakes, etc. There's a river walk downtown and Schlitterbaun is just a few miles north in New Braunfels. Plus you can visit the Alamo where Santa Anna kicked our but*s. This area is growing by leaps and bounds with more government entities coming and others expanding. Big corporations are moving their offices here to lower costs. Our area didn't really experience the real estate losses that many others did due to this growth.

Rewrite your resume using a different format. Trust me.

Experience: used, helped, required. You're better than that and you've done much more than that. Be creative, come on now. Boast on yourself but be humble at the same time.

Prayers are with you friend.

David

I agree, you should work on the resume. For the types of jobs you seek, what is most important to the hiring manager? Sort from the top down.

For instance - put your most recent degree obtained or worked towards at the top - and include GPA if its unfinished. For experience - this is what most people care about. My company generally hires on experience, and we sort candidates or break ties by education. List your most recent at the top and work down. People read resumes from the top down.

Got anything like military ROTC, church group, volunteer this or that? They're good items to put at the very bottom. I personally circle "Eagle Scout" right away, and instantly connect with the type of person I'm talking to.

My last bit of advice - if you can't find "the job" you want don't be ashamed to take "a job" - you can change it later. The economy is cyclic, and never stop looking.