HybridZ

I need a MASTER bushing kit

Hey guys,

Well ive started to work on my fairlady again. . FINALY i know... im actually taking a break from rebuilding the trans right now but ill get to that later. .

I need to find a good bushing kit out there. . . ive done some reading and found there to be a few different, so called "master kits" out there but most dont really come with everything i do need. . . im prity sure ill just have to piece a kit together to get what i need but before i do that i was hoping someone here might actually know a full kit i could check out. . .

I need just about every bushing there is for my baby, i think? i do have them listed below... i think thats all i need, but I do have a few questions too. . like what is "bump stop" the "tension rod" which is the "moustache bar" and will i need the "steering rack" or "steering coupler" aswell?

Sway Bar Bushing Kit

Front Control Arm Bushing Kit

Rear Control Arm Bushing Kit

Tension Rod Bushing Kit

Moustache Bar Bushing Kit

Bump Stop Kit

Steering Rack Bushing Kit

Steering Coupler

Transmission Mount Bushings

mind you its not going to be a race car but i would like to drive her a little wild here and there. . . no major mods have been done just a few more horses is all. . . I just dont want to be the guy who spends the money to find out he didnt need these bushings cause it doesnt fit . or isnt nessesary. . .

Thanks

Z Johnson

Theres a kit that has everything and more at summitracing.com

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=PTP-14-2002&N=700+115&autoview=sku

If you don't know what a moustache bar is you need a FSM [Factory Service Manual] for your year... It holds the back of the diff to the frame of the car .

flatblack280 Thanks for the link... how do you find out though what bushings it comes with. . . even though i am sure it does come with all the ones i need. What are the odds some busings i dont need will be in the kit aswell...

timbo1jz Nice tip, i have installed bushings befor and know they suck installing... what kit did you end up with?

Yea i thought thats what the moustache bar was i just wasnt a hundred percent sure... thanks for the help guys...

Anyone else got insite?

Pg. 43 Blackdragonauto.com. in the Datsun online catalog

Like everyone has stated, installing is a b$#tch, but well worth it. While you are changing the bushings, think about changing your spindle pins, if they are in bad shape.

Pg. 43 Blackdragonauto.com. in the Datsun online catalog.

Great Info!!! I looked into it and i love how they show you exactly what you are going to buy. . The only thing, is that they look to be around $40 more then what summit offers. I dont think the difference can be that much in quality . . . Can it?

Thanks

Z

Great Info!!! I looked into it and i love how they show you exactly what you are going to buy. . The only thing, is that they look to be around $40 more then what summit offers. I dont think the difference can be that much in quality . . . Can it?

Thanks

Z

Sorry i take that back... They are only about 10$ more...

Well it also depends if you want the Polyurethane bushings or OEM rubber. Poly bushings offer a much tighter ride, and don't flex as much. That kit is made by Energy Suspension. Modern Motorsports also sells it, in addition to a bunch of other places. And yes, you will probably need every bushing in that kit, and additionally more (if you want front swaybar bushings).

• 4 weeks later...

Found a set of energy suspension poly's for $170 shipped. You can get them in red or black.

http://www.directtuning.com/store/pc-41398-226-ENERGY%20SUSPENSION.aspx

Pretty good deal. i did have to wait for a while (6 weeks to get them).

Install was no huge deal for me cause I tore everything down for a complete rebuild.

Found a set of energy suspension poly's for $170 shipped. You can get them in red or black.

http://www.directtuning.com/store/pc-41398-226-ENERGY%20SUSPENSION.aspx

Pretty good deal. i did have to wait for a while (6 weeks to get them).

Install was no huge deal for me cause I tore everything down for a complete rebuild.

I've searched here and at Summit but can't seem to find this kit for 280ZX models....are they the same?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Nissan-Datsun-240Z-Prothane-Suspension-Bushing-Kit_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQitemZ120375823811QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

i bought this exact kit off of ebay(except i asked for black) about 3 weeks ago...and im very satisfied...it comes with everything a 280z kit comes with but is only 155 shipped...usually the 240z kit doesnt come with rear sway bar links...or trans x member bushings but this kit does (if you look at the other kits on ebay and count how many bushing you get...then you'll see that you get more in this one for cheaper) the shipping was also very speedy

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Nissan-Datsun-240Z-Prothane-Suspension-Bushing-Kit_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQitemZ120375823811QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

i bought this exact kit off of ebay(except i asked for black) about 3 weeks ago...and im very satisfied...it comes with everything a 280z kit comes with but is only 155 shipped...usually the 240z kit doesnt come with rear sway bar links...or trans x member bushings but this kit does (if you look at the other kits on ebay and count how many bushing you get...then you'll see that you get more in this one for cheaper) the shipping was also very speedy

I just got a full set of Prothane bushings from the same eBay seller, "Never Enough" parts. $100 shipped, with the "buy it now" option. They are in the mail...

When you install I have 2 questions:

1) When you torque everything back (I have the FSM with torque specs), can you do it while car is up on stands, or do you need load on the suspension to do so?

2) Do you need to grease the bushings before putting them on? If so, with what?

Thanks!

When you install I have 2 questions:

1) When you torque everything back (I have the FSM with torque specs), can you do it while car is up on stands, or do you need load on the suspension to do so?

2) Do you need to grease the bushings before putting them on? If so, with what?

Thanks!

1. Yes, you're supposed to avoid fully torquing the suspension h/w until the suspension is loaded to avoid "preloading" the bushings.

2. Yes and no. Usually the kit will tell you which bushings to grease and where. Some bushings are not supposed to be greased. The energy suspension kit comes with silicon grease (clearish-white icky sticky stuff), though I suppose you may be able to use white lithium grease as well.

Thanks so much Glenn!

I'm on Dial up (at the in laws...) right now so that pretty much killed the PC....but I look forward to checking it out this week when I'm back in the real world :) That site looks like a great resource altogether - bookmarking NOW!

Cheers,

Phil