HybridZ

What coating to use for my chassis/roll cage?

rustrocket

I figured this belonged in misc tech because it didnt specifically fall into another category.

My Triumph street machine is getting closer and closer to being finished...As it stands right now, i have a lot of bare metal that needs to be covered in something durable so it doesn't rust...I'm trying to be cost effective where possible.

IMG_3553.jpg

IMG_3543.jpg

IMG_3534.jpg

So, prettymuch the bare metal pieces are: lower a arms, chassis/roll cage, and i'm sure some other little bits.

For the chassis/a-arms/roll cage, i've been looking at powdercoating, but this seems pretty costly and since the body of the car is attached to the chassis, i'm not sure how the sheetmetal would hold up in the oven. Paint? Autozone or kragen bedliner? Suggestions?

POR-15 makes a product called Hardnose. We painted a tube chassis with it and it looked great. Unfortunatly it didn't hold up near as well as we hoped (chipped easily). I would recommend trying the epoxy paint, we have used that with better results. Oh, and sanding tube chassis' is a pain, literally, hah...

Here is the chassis, beginning assembly... Sorry for the poor picture quality.

6612.jpg

Cheers

ryan~

Some considerations:

1. Most serious tech inspectors frown on a thicker type of coating (powder coating in particular) for roll cages because it can hide welding flaws and has been used for just that purpose. They won't fail your roll cage for that reason but they will look at it with a more critical eye.

2. Thick coatings hide cracks. If there's a crack forming in your car's chassis or suspension, you want to see it immediately. Thick, flexible coatings will hide a crack for an amazingly long time leading to "sudden" part failure, when in reality that part has been failing for a long time. You also cannot crack test most powder coated parts.