HybridZ

Trans Swap

csorgenf

Been reading the posts and have not seen an answer for a S130 trans swap. Against my better judgment I purchased a smooth running but rusty 83 280ZX Turbo for my son. The car passed smog easily and other than needing a clutch it drives very well. The idea was to make it a daily driver until he finishes some work on his 240Z. (3.1, 5spd, R200, new interior).

Anyway I came across a much cleaner 81 280ZX Turbo with what appears to be a rebuilt engine but it is an automatic. I am picking it up for $500. How feasible is it to pull the T5 from the 83 and move it into the 81. These are the items I can think of.

brake peddle replaced with brake/clutch assembly.

clutch slave, and hydraulic lines

flex plate/flywheel change

trans itself and shifter

Is the firewall stamped for the clutch slave.piston?

Are the trans crossmember compatible or do I need to switch it?

Any other things I am missing?

all the holes and stuff for hydraulic lines are there. I did this with an 81 turbo put in a 81 5 speed. you might have some drive shaft matching issues but if you have complete driveline in both cars may just need to swap a lot of stuff. you need the console cover to take the manual shifter so color matching may be an issue. there is a welded on bracket to hold the clutch slave hydraulic hose missing on the auto but you don't really need it so no biggy. there are some interlocks for the auto tranny you need to bypass to get it to start with the manual. I did it at the relay box under the hood. remove the whole cage assembly for the clutch and brake pedals. four bolts holding the brake booster and two up under the dash. You'll swear (at it and with it) that it won't come out but keep wiggling and pulling and then it miracously jumps right out of there. this is much easier than trying to swap the pedals. some tips - roll down both windows before you pull the battery. remove driver seat for sure and probably both. pressure wash underneath both cars if possible saves a lot of dirt in the eye nuisance. Remember that the 81 engine uses a crank angle sensor while the 83 dizzy sends the fire signal to the ecu. Just use the 83 dizzy on the 81 and you avoid that problem. some rewiring required but just pull off the cas and put on the dizzy. just swap the flywheel and clutch. might want to put a new pilot bearing and rear engine seal in there. T5 tranny you may want to replace the input taper bearing I hear they are delicate and not much of a job as it will be sitting on the floor anyway. took me about three days not putting in 16 hour days on it. tranny jack really handy. crane of course or chain fall from the overhead. I'd change the fuel injector connectors on the wire harness they are usually in need of it by this time. New cylinder head temp sensor. new oil pressure sender. new clutch slave/master cheap and easy to do. If a/c is working just lay the compressor off to the side you can pull the engine and leave the compressor hooked up unlike the z31. If you read the posts there are those who feel the standard 5 speed is superior to the T5 but I have no direct knowledge other than the input bearing on the T5 which I have on good authority. check the clutch fork fulcrum pin or just replace about $6 I had one shatter on a dark and stormy night twas not fun and hear later that it is fairly rare but not unheard of. that shoud get you started. with both cars should go smooth I had to make a few runs to the pull a part.

Just part of what roger said.

Pedels, hydrolics, bypass the switch, center consol, and some have seemed to get lucky with the drive line fitting.

Oh and a spacer at the crank.

And you will need the to put a n/a clutch and pressure plate on it, due to the contact patch is 225mm on na vs the 240 on turbo.

Try to see if someone has the turbo or 2plus2 flywheel, then you can get the oem clutch from nissian. Essentially this is a bolt up deal with some details.

On the swap mentioned in the first post, I'm not sure but I think the 81 turbo auto has an R200. (might have R180 because its an auto)

I had a 280ZX 2+2 NA with 5-speed that I switched to turbo engine and T5.

I installed the T5 itself no problem. Took the rear trans mount and turned it around 180. NA and turbo use the same exact piece. (auto may be different) the T5 does use a unique driveshaft. Swap the driveshaft and the front end of the diff where the driveshaft bolts to. that part is not the same on the non-turbo or the auto Z-cars. If your 1981 turbo has an R180, then swap in the R200 and half-shafts from the 1983 Z.

In my case I just had to find a 2+2 turbo driveshaft for a T5. I got lucky and found one fairly quickly.

the 81 turbo has an r200 diffy. my problem was the driveshaft. output spline diameter was different (larger) on the auto tranny than the 5 spd I used. when I got it all together and tried to get the wheels to turn I figured I messed up the clutch install somehow but the problem was the manual tranny output shaft was smaller than the female of the driveshaft so everything was spinning to that point but nothing to the wheels.

I don't mean to hijack but I have a similar question. What about swapping an 81NA manual into an 83T auto car? Obviously the pressure plate and clutch will have issues.

Thanks

Edit:

I may have answered my own question by re-reading. If I use the flywheel and clutch from the manual tranny there wouldn't be any issue, correct? I assume the turbo motor would have bolt holes for both the 225 and 240 flywheel, unless it's the same bolt, different contact patch.

Nope.

Go to parts wanted here and see if someone has a turbo flywheel lieing around.

That is how I go mine, from Z-ya, in and running this weekend in my N/a.

Just make sure you get the 2plus2 or turbo clutch.

BTW, mabey not the best but I put in a beck arnly from smucks auto.

Nope.

Go to parts wanted here and see if someone has a turbo flywheel lieing around.

That is how I go mine, from Z-ya, in and running this weekend in my N/a.

Just make sure you get the 2plus2 or turbo clutch.

BTW, mabey not the best but I put in a beck arnly from smucks auto.

would he be just as well off with a 2+2 flywheel too?

and also hows that schmucks clutch holding up?

low cost i bet?

Same flywheel, 2pl2 and turbo. Also same clutch.

Its a beck arnly.

Not so cheap 189, I've had too many failures in the past with there "house" brands.

Fit prefect and is running great at this time.

meh for $189 i'll get something a little more reputable

• 2 weeks later...

Is it really worth the effort? I own a great running 79 zx automatic. I love everything about the car except that it is a auto. I would love to make it a 5 speed but wonder if it is really worth all the work. I have often thought of selling my zx and buying the first 5-speed that comes along. I would like to hear some opinions as well as from people who have preformed the swap and weather or not they would do the swap again.