HybridZ

I left my gas cap on my ROOF!

S130Z

A couple months ago I was leaving the gas station and was thinking if I had screwed my gas cap back in. I stopped down the road to check and it was sitting on my roof. Ever since then I have become anal retentive about screwing my gas cap back in. I even get back out of my car to double check if its screwed in or on my roof.

Does this happen to anyone else? I'm trying to figure out a simple solution to keep the cap attached to the socket. Any ideas on a way to connect it without installing an aftermarket system?

I did this last year. I had a clogged fuel line and had pulled off to the side of the freeway to blow through the pickup line with the cap off to vent. I forgot to put the cap back on, but didn't discover it until two hours later. Luckily it was still laying there in the emergency lane and none the worse for wear.

You could probably get away with drilling a small hole in one of the ears of the cap and running a small length of cable from it to a self tapping screw in the immediate vicinity for a cheap fix.

Thats what I was kinda thinking. I was gonna try to find a plastick retainer from another car that will fit snugg enough above the threads and then tap in the other side. I will try working something up when I get back in town.

I've never done this, but it ALWAYS freaks me out that I might forget the cap. What I've taken to doing is just putting it in a front pocket of my shorts or jeans (or in the hand pocket on a hoodie), because there is no way in hell I could miss that when I sit down.

my last zed had a chain on it attached inside the filler neck so you could not forget it.

I have done worse I forgot to put my oil cap back on and then went for a 200 mile drive it was a bit messy when i opened the hood

Mine had a chain too, but whenever I went to a "We Serve" gas station, the attendant wouldn't know the chain was there, and the cap would get pulled out of his hands and it would bang against the fender, chipping the paint. I did that myself several times, so I took the chain off.

If you still have the original rubber flap that would hang over the fender when you open the gas cap door, then that should protect the paint at least...

Nigel

'73 240ZT

I glued a magnet to mine.

I use to do the same thing. After losing 2 gas caps, I decide to put a magnet on it and covered the contact area with felt. When I fill up, I just stick it next to the driver side door handle. Idk what I'm going to do, when I have my Z running :P, since its on the other side.

You have a 280ZX I'm assuming from your username. So I would assume that if you just leave the key in the cap until you screw it back in. You won't be able to drive off with out it ?

uh.. I don't think that his car had a key'd filler cap, or else this wouldn't be any issue.

not all 280zx came with that.

The cure for this problem is quite simple. On the body of the car, below the area where the gas cap comes to rest when fully seated you drill a hole into the body of the car. Next you install a normally open switch. You then wire this N/O swicth into the ignition circuit. Now, after fueling up if you forget to secure the gas cap in place you will have an open circuit in the ignition system and the engine will not start. You will never leave a gas cap behind using this method.

Mike

When the ZX switched from the six tumbler lock to the seven tumbler (or was it five to six?) in the door locks and ignition, Nissan didn't re-make all the gas caps, they still use the older keys. So the keyway that fits the older Z cars also fits the gas caps, while newer cars have two keys. The cylinders for each keyway are interchangeable, and auto parts stores sell both, so you could put the older keyway in your door locks and ignition and key it all the same, if you wanted. I don't know about putting the newer keyway in to a gas cap, never tried.

Give the previous owner of the car a call and see if they have the gas cap key. If not, at least yours is unlocked. You can take it to a lock smith shop and have them make a key for it. As long as it's removable from the car it's easily disassembled and re-keyed or simply measured and a new key cut. With the fuel thefts around here, I'm glad I have one. Always remembering to lock it once it's fully screwed in keeps me from leaving it places.

-Eric

When the ZX switched from the six tumbler lock to the seven tumbler (or was it five to six?) in the door locks and ignition, Nissan didn't re-make all the gas caps, they still use the older keys. So the keyway that fits the older Z cars also fits the gas caps, while newer cars have two keys. The cylinders for each keyway are interchangeable, and auto parts stores sell both, so you could put the older keyway in your door locks and ignition and key it all the same, if you wanted. I don't know about putting the newer keyway in to a gas cap, never tried.

Give the previous owner of the car a call and see if they have the gas cap key. If not, at least yours is unlocked. You can take it to a lock smith shop and have them make a key for it. As long as it's removable from the car it's easily disassembled and re-keyed or simply measured and a new key cut. With the fuel thefts around here, I'm glad I have one. Always remembering to lock it once it's fully screwed in keeps me from leaving it places.

-Eric

Not even the same model car had the same (fitting) gas caps. I have 2 280z and the gas caps are not interchangeable (unless you switch filler necks.) :P

My 77 had a key'd cap, but my 78 didn't and both are oem (labled nissan with part number)