HybridZ

I'm buying the AZC big brake kits for the front and rears!

Well I've decided to buy the AZC big brake kits for my car as my winter project. For once I won't have to fabricate anything to make something fit on my car! Oh how nice that will be for a change! LOL I am going to buy the 13" / 4 piston kit for the front and their 12.2" rear kit. I want the 6 piston kit for the front but I really don't need it. It sure would look nice though!:mrgreen:

Do you guys think I will need a proportioning valve or will having both big front and rear brakes make it brake evenly? My thought is that it will brake evenly. It might be nice to have when I go to the drag strip so I can "turn off" the rear brakes to do a brake press a lot easier(not that its really a problem now...).

Guy

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Burnouts really aren't a problem anytime but I think with a proportioning valve it would just make it that much easier. I may put a line lock in to "aid" me in the parking brake department though since I will loose that feature(which I'm not thrilled about!). I know line locks are not even close to 100% fool proof but atleast its something!

Im just waiting for my tax return and them I'm calling AZC to order everyting! Should be this week!

You'll need a proportioning valve. There are way too many variables involved to not run one, unless you change to a dual master cylinder setup with a balance bar.

jt

I'll second that, and up the volume a bit. The AZC brake setup is not designed to be run without a prop valve - it's not even close to being usable without one, under any conditions. I have to dial mine almost all the way out to keep from locking the rears first.

A few years back I had cranked up the pressure in the rear as a test and forgot to put it back. At the first stop light from my house, the car went completely sideways when I hit the brakes to stop. :eek2: I had to sit at the front of the line completely sideways in the lane and wait for the light to turn green. Really embarrassing, but I was extremely lucky that this was how I found out.

On the parking brake, didn't I see that someone was making a rear kit that included a spot caliper? I think maybe they were in Australia...

I plan to install it on my car this time. I have been running the car 7500 miles (yr n half) without it and can say...the rear end does want to step out on you. Yes, I have ran 3 track days this way. I guess I got use to it and my braking was always one of my main concerns. 1 tuff z drove my car and didn't think it was as bad as his when he wasn't running the prob valve. I have the AZ kit all the way around vs his Ross 13 inch up fronts and sx in the rear.....in short.....install it ;)

PS- Don't forget to cut the rotors when you first get em.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat, I want to install a staging hand brake, some of them have the locking option, like a parking brake. That would create the same problem as a line lock would, as over time you could lose line pressure and watch your car go bye bye. :eek2:

I'll have to have a staging brake, and a parking brake, or just forget the staging brake.

I may put a line lock in to "aid" me in the parking brake department though since I will loose that feature(which I'm not thrilled about!). I know line locks are not even close to 100% fool proof but atleast its something!

Dave has a new milling machine in the shop, that is very repeatable, and he says that he is going to turn the rotors before they go in the box. He just did mine a month ago. Hopefully that will ease some of the issues people have had.

jimbo

That is great news! I love the kit....Guy you will be very happy with it.

I talked to Dave today. He wanted to make sure that the 13" kit would fit my front wheels. Apparently you have to have 2" of clearance from the hub surface to the wheel for the caliper to clear. I have 2.75" so I'm fine but just a heads up for anyone else that's looking at this kit. Also for the rears, I have to cut off the original mounting tabs for the calipers and redrill and tap some bolt holes for mounting of the new caliper. I'll know more about that when I get the stuff. I probably wont even install this stuff till spring. I hate working on the floor at home! LOL He asked me if doing this stuff was going to be a problem and I told him I'm a mechanic by trade....he said "oh well then you'll be able to do this in your sleep." So the install sounds fairly straight forward!

Guy

• 2 weeks later...

n553205648_2102058_1353.jpg

Mmmmmmmmm delicous!

I finally got everything today. UPS only made me sign for 1 of 2 boxes so I received my rears on Tuesday. You'd think that they wouldn't drop off either box unless there was a signature but what do I know?

Man these things look mean! I am so excited to have brakes. Its probably the first non-go fast part that I've order that I've really be excited about! LOL

I was going to wait to install them till it got a little warmer but I think I'll start this project after the weekends over! I can't wait to see them behind my wheels! All my buddies really want to see them too! Hehehehe

Guy

Yup the rotors were assembled correctly. I put the front rotors and calipers on tonight. I have to hook up the brake lines yet but I'll do that later(there seized on right now so its going to take some special tools.....like a torch! LOL).

BEFORE....

n553205648_2137909_7395453.jpg

AFTER...

n553205648_2137910_1285168.jpg

Its hard to believe how small the fronts were!

Guy