HybridZ

Drive Shaft Rebuilds

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hey all,

I have WAY too much play in the drive shaft. I get a nice clunk on and off the gas. I know the diff. is sound (R200 from a ZX 2+2) so the shaft is gett'n the shaft. My question is:

The shafts were spliced together. The front portion has the u-joint and yoke for my T5 (83' 280zx) and the rear u-joint is for my 77' (little smaller). SO, I called the guy at the shop and he said if they are non-replaceable then I need to get another shaft. Since my Chilton (Bible) is MIA I'm asking ya'll. Are the u-joint replaceable (meaning they are held in with snap style rings) or are they a solid component to the drive shaft and require me buying another shaft. :( Confusion sucks and so does that clunk noice.

Nic 2thumbs.gif

Guest kc6wfs

Hi Nic,

Hummm.

I think your shop is trying to build his revinue.

I have had my u-jionts replaced on my driveshaft several times.

The caps are pressed in.

Try another driveshaft shop.

Dave

cheers.gif

Guest Anonymous

I think I'm ganna have to go to another shop. This was a sweet place before though. I guess the owner retired and sold the shop to his son. Now it is never open on the weekends and anything that requires real talent is not an option.

However, Sean does have a point. I think I need to buy another chilton to see what it says about driveshafts. Until then, I'll keep look'n.

Thankx all, 2thumbs.gif

Nic

Guest Anonymous

I always heard after the 280 Z introduction that the u joints in the drive shaft were not replaceable. Now is the time to get it done with replaceable u joints

Guest Anonymous

Tomahawk Z,

What do you mean? Do you sell (or know who does sell) replacable units? and can I still keep my cutoms shaft, or will that need to be tossed? I'm hoping I can keep the driveshaft, for it cost me a pretty penny to have it made and I would like to keep it.

Nic 2thumbs.gif

Guest Anonymous

Are the U joints replaceable on the front portion of a T 5 trans from a 83 ZX???? What I was suggesting is to go to 240 or 260 drive shaft with u joints that would be replaceaable or have a new shaft made with bigger chevy u joints.. You have a particular problem and may need a second opinion from a mechanic or some member may post and have a better solution who knows about the T5 yoke and joint. No matter what you do is get into replaceable u joints with the least cost. Any one who did the drive shaft splicing should have warned you if the u joints were not replaceable and no one can tell that now unless they look at them and confirm what they are.I have no easy answers!

The drive shafts are not rebuildable on the 75 and up Z/ZX. I had an 80 model Z and the nissan place was going to charge me about $600-$700 for a new one! You can go to a custom drive shaft business and get them to build you a new for a whole lot cheaper than that with replacable u joints.

Guest Anonymous

I think I'll do that.

I called another local shop and he threw out $225 as a ball park price. If it is that much it will put a dent in my "Turbo rebuilding" fund. We'll see how much he wants.

So, now the big question. What should I do if I want a T56??? :confused: I can pick some up for $30, but I don't know which car to get it from. Has anyone run a list of cars that had the T56?....I think I'm ganna start a new thread.

Nic

I found that the "non-replaceable" U-joints in the axle halfshafts of my '78 were actually removeable, just not as easily as a U-joint that was meant to be replaced (according to my dad). Advance Auto ordered me a replacement, had it in the next day (aftermarket though, and it had the aforementioned grease zerk). They also gave me the incorrect U-joint at first, its label said it was the one for the main driveshaft, so I am guessing that it is possible to replace them as well. I may have to do that in the near future too frown.gif

Guest Craig280z

MSA and Victoria British say that the driveshaft ujoints in 75-78 cars are not replaceable.

A driveshaft shop can rebuild your driveshaft with replaceable u joints.

I'm just wondering why you are using the Datsun u joints in the driveshaft? Isn't easier to get the JTR driveshaft adapter and just use chevy u joints on both ends of the driveshaft?

Wouldn't it be cheaper for a shop to cut a camaro driveshaft to length?

Craig