HybridZ

question about my gleason/torsen rear

Bob_H

Ok, I dropped my R-200 off with john,(from this board), to check backlash, etc.. for it felt rather loose. Well, he pulls it apart, everything checks out, .008 backlash. Bearings etc.. were in great shape, no metal floating around. Ok, I have the Gleason-torqlok or something similar last name, bottom line, works like a Torsen, but preceded it and made by Gleason.

To quote john's response to me:

"but if you hold the ring gear, pinion, and one

stub shaft still there is about 1/8-3/16 movement in the other stub shaft."

So we are stumped. I don't know if the gleason should have that kinda movement internally. Can anyone point us in the right direction of who to ask? We can't go to Torsen, b/c it is a different design and different company. Looking to find out if there is a way to set the lash internal to the gleason, or if that is normal.

-Bob Hanvey

To quantify the amount of movement, with the ring gear and one stub fixed, the opposite stub moves 0.156" measured on the stud in the flange.

The only experience I have with these is running one illegally in a circle track car. Nascar caught us before wear became an issue. It worked great for a while. Either Gleason or Torsen started building these, then they merged or one bought out the other, IIRC. Been a while on that.

John

john c,

I'm not so sure it is normal. Eliminate the ring and pinion,(well, hold them) and as john said, we are getting .156 inches of movement internal to the Gleason itself.

I guess another way to check would be to hold the ring gear itself and one of the stub shafts and see how much it moves them - i'd bet pretty close to the same.

I don't think it is additive, when the R&P itself has .008 backlash, vs. the .156 on the stub. Not sure how the two distances relate ratio wise, but I don't think that the tolerences added are giving me/us this amount of movement

John, maybe try holding the ring gear and a stub and see how that changes the mvt at the other stub axle? And haven't had a chance to scour the web yet...will work on that soon.

-Bob

Well, turned up zilch on my google search. Did find out the detriot true-trac is very similar to my gleason torsen, if not the same. But no mention of any freeplay in the gears. Yes mention that the worm gears work by sliding outward, and the accompaning friction is what causes the torque biasing.

It is late and I need to go to bed.

-Bob

The 0.156 is in the gleason itself. Holding the ring gear fixed eliminates the backlash from consideration. If the pinion was held fixed and the ring gear allowed to move, then the backlash would be additive.

This may be perfectly acceptable, I don't know. Visual inspection of the worm gears in the diff shows very little wear. The teeth are shiny in the contact areas, and you can still see toolmarks even in the contact area. There is some visible movement in the worm gear pinion shafts where they fit into the carrier.

John

gleason [located where i live in rochester, ny] sold the torsen portion a number of years ago to a new company called zexel-torsen. i went there about 2 years ago to look for a diff for my z-no luck, not making them anymore. the engineer was quite helpful in answering questions and we even discussed a "group buy". it seemed production costs [even though i has a copy of the original torsen spec sheets-i have a friend who's been an engineer at gleason since the 60's]. anyway, their phone #is 585-464-5000, if u'd like to contact them. hope this helps!

that is a rare bird you have there. From all of the information I have been able to get, there was a single production run of 50 made by Torsen and that is it. You may want to give David at Malvern Racing a call, he has worked with that unit some in the past and just may be able to answer your question. That is the very best diff you can get in the way of a posi unit. Quaife also makes a unit, and that is what I bought, for the very reason you are asking about. They still have the unlimited hp warranty, and free repair of the unit. The Torsen unit has zero support as you have found out. In fact when I called them the customer service guy said they never made a unit for an R200 diff, so that gives you some idea of how old the diff is. They are excellent units. To me the .150 is not excessive, but it will make noise in the car. All diffs have a fair amount of play between the side gears(in this case the barber pole gears)Talk to David and he will help you out. :D

Jeff,

I am interested in where you got that production run info? Was that second hand, or documented? Before Quaife started offering up units for the R200 and R180,(more the 180 now for ITS and such), a Gleason R-200 would pull upwards of $2000. I don't know what it is worth right now, but I'd bet I could still sell it for close to $1500. Ironicly I bought a race car, pulled this rear, and sold the race car. Yes, bought the car just for the rear.

-Bob