HybridZ

Protecting exposed block/head

attworth

I've done a bit of searching and have a few questions.

When removing the head from my car, it seems a good way to protect the block and head is to coat them in WD-40. Is it necessarry to clean the WD-40 off before reassembly? What about all the coolant and oil passages? Any special way to clean them out? Is there anything better to use?

Thanks!

WD-40 will keep rust at bay. Drain oil/coolant as best you can. Spray it and bag it to keep crap out. I'm assuming you're going to rebuild properly? If not, I'd be inclined to clear all passages prior to reassembly. WD-40 tends to coagulate over time (fish oil based) so I'd clean it off prior to assembly.

naviathan, I started another thread regarding the head I'm deciding to use. Do you think ARP studs will be necessary? I don't plan to make more than about 300hp if even that much. I was planning to use the stock turbo studs as sold by Courtesy Nissan (which is local.) The ARPs are about 4 times as much, and I'm not sure I'd ever be pushing enough power to warrant that cost. Although, I'm the newb here...

WD-40 tends to coagulate over time (fish oil based)

Check out snopes et al, there have been emails about WD-40 being good for all sorts of things on a long list, and a reply from the WD-40 makers refuting about 2/3rds of them, WD-40 is actually Petroleum based.

To keep the iron liner sleeves on my rover V8 clear I used CRC 5.56 to wipe down and clean them, then rubbed heavy lithum based grease over the bores. You'd be best to use a storage grease like cosmolene (check army surplus stores) or similar.

Cosmoline is available in spray cans (orange and black) at most good industrial hardware stores.

LPS makes a wax-based preservative, that was used on aircraft in the tropics, which also works well.

it all depends on what you are planning for storage duration. If it's a week, WD to drive out the water, then like mentioned 10Wt oil of some kind (or even motor oil)

Anything more than a couple of days, knuckle under and buy some PROPER preservative oils that are persistent and STICK (this means it WILL be hard to clean off later!)

Really, if you have a FRESH, HOT, CLEAN block (like out of the caustic dip and flush), the best thing you can do is PAINT the damn thing ASAP, and grease/oil everything else. I have seen blocks that were PINK because that was what they could get cheap.

I have six cans of Cosmoline at home at all times. I have WD by the Gallon in manual sprayers, as well as PB Blaster. When in doubt, I brake-clean the thing, and liberally apply cosmoline. Then I go buy more.

You never know what life will throw at you, and if you get sidelined for two years...you DO NOT want to come back to a rusted bore because you cheaped out on preservative! It will take 15 minutes more of cleaning with light solvent to clean off cosmoline that has waxed up and hardened compared to other things (you can grease over the cosmoline after it's waxed up, then bag it as mentioned above!)

How long it gonna take to remachine and liner that bore...or surface grind and re-line-bore that journal gallery?

A couple of ounces of prevention beats a pound of cure in this instance to be sure!