HybridZ

R230 swap kit...who is making one?

Jwink25

I am glad to hear that things are moving along at a good pace. Seems there are plenty of people waiting for this set-up.

Oh! By-the-way... I got my engine cross member in yesterday. It looks great! Thanks AL! My small block Ford powered Z is on it's way. 2thumbs.gif

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pete,

I very much doubt that it's possible to get everything absolutely perfect, but it's going to be much easier than trying to use angle finders and tape measures etc. Besides, I'm getting it done for free.

Tim

Connections are nice, huh ?
BooYah...hell yeah!

He's making my adapters gratis too...since it's 'experimental' at this point!!

I think I've found a VERY good source for CV joints too, and if there is enough interest, Diffs for <$250, but I think that cost of shipping may make it moot over local purchases.

Will let everyone know.

Tim

Don't have a R200 to compare, but the flange is certainly different and i would imagine the length too. I measured for my dummy shaft (the solid one) and it came to 29 inches from the output shaft of the gearbox to the face of the diff flange. I am making the shaft 28 inches long. If you have a look on my site, there is a picture of the R180 side by side with the R230.

HTH.

Tim

Guest Anonymous

Tim,

You are right on the money. A steel plate on the inner cv has solved my problem. Have been to several track days since this mod and have had no problem. Before it would pull the shaft inward deforming the inner CV cap and pull the outer CV past the snap ring. It did not pull the shaft completly out so there were no parts flopping around, just a very un nerving grinding sound. Happened a total of three times before I wised up and tried this.

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/mwicard/vwp?.dir=/&.src=ph&.dnm=spacer+in+cap.jpg&.view=t&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/bc/mwicard/lst%3f%26.dir=/%26.src=ph%26.view=t

Interesting about only the outer one being effective in suspension movement.

"As the rear of the car goes up and down, what is to prevent the axle from pulling out partially from the diff"

The axle won't pull out because it sits inside the diff flange which is bolted to the diff with 6 bolts. This is copied to the other side and an adapter is used to mate it to the 4 bolts of the stub axle flange.

Some pix,

http://www.v8zcar.com/s30z/r230.htm

The outer CV is a shaft and won't fit into the Datsun suspension.

So, the axle will still move while the suspension compresses, it will just slide back and forth between the two 6-bolt CV flanges, if it's short enough. Reminder to self, put a stopper between inner flange and diff output flange, that tiny metal cover COULD pop out if the suspension is compressed too much.

Owen

Mike,

Big hammer and lots of patience. I tried for hours to pull it apart, thinking I was missing a key element in my thought process (happens frequently).

I took it to the local shop and he just did exactly what I was doing .... smacking it with a hammer...only difference is, it came apart for him!! :mad: What needs to happen is the clip on the end of the shaft needs to get compressed and slide inside the splines on the CV. Mine just broke off the splines at the tip of the shaft.

On the other hand (unless you are going a different route than the rest of us), there is no reason to pull it apart. The shaft and the outer CV can get tossed. A shame I know, but......

General update:

My adapters will be done this weekend, at which point I will have Speedway make the sideshafts. I will have them keep measurements and specs, at which point you guys can just call and order a set if you want.

Tim

Guest Anonymous

Tim,

I'm interested in some new CV's. I have one that is starting to pop on hard launches. I have plenty of junk yard parts around here but if you have a source for new or rebuilt CV's, I would be interested in buying a few. Mark

Here's a question for you guys who are familiar with disassembling the R230 axle shafts. I've got an R230 and two axles. Disassembling the inner CV was straight forward but the outer has me puzzled. There is a snap ring, which I've expanded and slid up the shaft, but all that allows me to do is push the splined shaft into the pivot ball another 3/8" - 1/2". I can't see what the next step is to disassemble this joint. Any suggestions? HELP!

Mike Mileski

Tucson, AZ

Mark,

At this point all I have access to is used (ie JY) pieces. I am working on something though. Not absolutely sure yet so I don't want to 'let the cat out of the bag', but I will let you know as soon as I have some firm info.

You can get rebuild units, but again, only as a complete halfshaft....such a waste.

Tim