HybridZ

260Z/280Z brake lights in a 240???

Why would you want this instead of the 240Z lights which IMO look cleaner since they are "one piece".

I'm actually a fan of the later style. Also... I'm considering deleting the outer shroud/trim pieces (black metal pieces that surround the lens') and mounting the lights flush to a fabricated panel.

It is accually probably quite easy, just have to do some cutting on rear mounting plate. But as said earlier the earlier style is "wanted". With the later style you have more options. Klearz.com offers the turn signal lens in clear,smoked or amber for the later style.

It was done in the 70's when racing classes changed so that 240s that were build could be raced as 280s. I know there was an IMSA flared car on craigslist that someone here bought that had the 280 tail lights on a 240 for that reason, and I think it was fairly common practice for racers back in the day.

It was done in the 70's when racing classes changed so that 240s that were build could be raced as 280s. I know there was an IMSA flared car on craigslist that someone here bought that had the 280 tail lights on a 240 for that reason, and I think it was fairly common practice for racers back in the day.

That's pretty cool. I can't believe they'd get away with that! No VIN checking back then!!??

I guess replacing the inner mounting surface and outer trim pieces would get you the stock 280 look.

My plan is to get the outer rear "skin" smoothed out like I want. Then i'll cut out where the lights will go so they sit flush to the back. I'll rebuild a custom support from the inside and seal everything up with some all purpose door/window gasket. The way I have it planned the ligths will still be able to be removed if necessary.

I did run into a small problem with the rear hatch lock catch though. Can't reattach it after painting with the rear smoothed/filled out. I just cut a larger hole so I can get tools down there to tighten the catch and i'll build a cover panel that it can be removed for allignment if needed.

I'll try to get some progress pics uploaded.

I wish people didn't butcher 240Zs. Geesh. I don't mean to come across as being an *******. I'm not. I just love these cars and it's amazing what a redneck will do to one.

AND I'M A REDNECK. Maybe that's why I'm sensitive to it. All the guys back in high school... horrible bondo jobs... it's like 240Zs get used for car-origami.