HybridZ

dropping an 82 280zx

boosted280

n/a

I was planning a 350 swap just a few days ago. Then something came over me and I changed my mind to doing a turbo swap. If you do the math, the turbo swap is cheaper and easier to to. I just got hooked on boost, and that's what I would advise for a turbo swap. You can make nice numbers out of a stock turbo long block.

Hey Yasin, about how much up travel (like from sitting, to fully compressed) did your car have when you had it slammed all the way down?

The travel was probably acceptable, but the ride was terrible and the car sat so low I was worried about damaging the lower parts of the body not to mention the oil pan etc..

A low car is great but for our aging, pot-hole, rutty roads it needs to be practical.

This the extent of the welding required for the front, it is a steel sleeve welded on the strut tubes to support the threaded collar of the coilover.

13822685.jpg

This was my first take...it was way too high:

13823039.jpg

So had to go back cut them out and re-do them to the height sown in the above pic.

The spring perches on the rear have to completely cut out. Here is my ultra rare and amazing Tokico ProDraG from Japan that I am using currently:

13823071.jpg

Rear coilover sleeve: This sleeve was made from all exhaust tubing. You can see the length of the entire sleeve is a hair under 10" in length. I originally made the first sleeve only 5.5" in length and the car still sat too high, so this sleeve you see here is my actual second attempt. I did not take any chances hence the 10" length - size in this case does matter! At the bottom of the sleeve is the collar that the threaded sleeve will sit on and it is only a 0.25" larger in diameter - large enough to fit over the 10" sleeve but small enough for the threaded sleeve to butt up against - are you still with me? On the top of this 10" sleeve is a large washer bought from Home Depot and welded in place. I had to drill the washer out a bit larger so that the piston on the strut could pass through it without getting hung up on it. So if you think about it the weight of the car will be resting on this 80cent Home Depot washer - sounds precarious but there is a very strong weld holding it all together and so far I have had no problems with it. So this piece will fit over the top of the strut.

13823050.jpg

Regards,

Yasin

• 2 months later...