HybridZ

LED bulbs for blinkers

Flexicoker

Does anyone have a source for LED bulbs that will be a direct replacement for the standard bulbs? I've found a couple of places online that sell what I think would work, but they're expensive!! I'd like to replace all the bulbs that blink, and replace the flasher with an electric unit to lower the current that has to pass through the blinker switch, and hopefully make it last alot longer between rebuilds.

These look good, but $20/bulb!! I am thinking hardwire might mean you have to splice it in as opposed to plug and play...

http://www.customdynamics.com/motorcycle_led_bulbs.htm#Genesis_LED_Clusters_

I am running a Z28 wiring harness and Corvette tail lights so I'm NOT using Datsun style bulbs. My front turn signals are custom LED ones so no bulbs there. But in the rear Corvette lights I am using the widest available. Sorry can't remember what the number was. You want red ones for the rear and yellow for the front even if you have colored lenses.

i have converted my entire car (s130) to led except the headlights (duh) i had to use an electronic flasher unit to make the system not blink too fast, but other than that it was very easy. i got all my leds from ebay from a seller called ushd. he was fast and all product worked great. you just have to search as if it was a bulb, use the same number and the correct led will come up. as for which color, the best thing to do is use the same color led as the lens it is behind. this makes the color very vivid and sharp. i saved 20 ish amps from converting, which also frees up alternator drag and a very very small amount of hp.

I am running a Z28 wiring harness and Corvette tail lights so I'm NOT using Datsun style bulbs. My front turn signals are custom LED ones so no bulbs there. But in the rear Corvette lights I am using the widest available. Sorry can't remember what the number was. You want red ones for the rear and yellow for the front even if you have colored lenses.

deja, GM uses the same 1156 and 1157 style bulbs as datsun did in their tail lights and turn signals. The only bulbs that were different (IIRC) are the Datsun marker lights.

I knew that a Tridon EP35 flasher would work because Dave Irwin from the Classic Z website told me that it would, and he's an S30 electrical guru. I went to the local Checker Auto (Checker-Schucks-Kragen) and found their equivalent which also ends in "35". There are two flasher units in our cars, both the same, one for turn signals and one for the emergency flashers (my car is a '71 240Z, by the way). Since the stock flashers are made of metal they are grounded when they are mounted but the electronic ones are made of plastic. That's why they have a third prong marked with a minus symbol that requires you to make a small jumper wire, hook it to that prong, and run it to ground. I just did this last week and now my turn signals and emergency flashers blink at the perfect speed (they used to blink real fast) and the electronic flasher unit was just $10.99.

Mike Mileski

Tucson, AZ

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

You will have to get a different flasher. They make them that are direct replacement. The LEDs do not draw enough current to pull the flasher and make it flash. Most auto places carry the flasher you need. I want to say that I bought mine years ago from pep-boys.

good luck

pallnet