HybridZ

'76 280Z 283-Glide Conversion

Nice swap. I currently in the process of doing the same swap. One thing I noticed when I dropped motor in place and bolted it up is that the crank is not center in the car. If you look at it from front the pulley and whole motor is more towards the passenger side. This is the same in the pictures you took of your swap. Is there a reason for this ? I always mocked up and made mounts with the motor center. Please fill me in if this is how its suppose to be. Thanks

Rich

My understanding is that this is intentional. Mounting the engine just slightly to the passenger side is an attempt to "equalize" the weight distribution between driver and passenger sides. (The theory being that the car will be driven without a passenger the majority of the time.)

If I recall correctly, Datsun did similar thing when engineering the mounting location of the factory motor as well.

And yes, this mounting position gives more clearance with the steering shaft....a win-win situation!

• 4 weeks later...

I saw you on the road on saturday. My sister-in-law has a house on Lake Holbrook and I saw you driving down 69. I instantly recognized the car from Hybridz because of the lack of hood and that filter setup(very unique)... Car looked good and was damn loud... lol.... sounded good though.

Kevin

• 1 month later...

Update:

Car has been running pretty good lately, took it to another car show a few weeks back and everything did fine on the way home. Started the car up to take it to town the next day after work and anything over half throttle it started backfiring out the carb. Thinking it was probably a fire issue because of the old cap and rotor, probably carbon tracking, I put a new cap and rotor on it and checked all my wires. Everything looked good and the old rotor was a little oxidized. Cranked it up and took it down the road...... same thing. So I pulled all the plugs out and they were a little carboned up, so I put a new set in, and ran my valves down again while looking for even lift on the rocker arms while running. Same problem. I haven't had a chance to take it to work because of all the rain and put it on the scope, but it is driving me nuts. So I thought I would post it and see what people think.

• 1 month later...

Well I have been extremely busy with starting a new job, house projects, side jobs, etc. I tinkered with the Z a few days ago and here is what I found with the time allotted. Hooked up a fuel pressure guage and had the right amount of pressure with good volume. Hooked up a vaccuum guage and found a problem. at idle it was bouncing between 10in down to zero very quickly back and forth, and would hold steady at about 13 or so off idle, which I know is wrong, question is, why? I pulled the valve covers off to check for a hammered cam, but running all the rocker arms seemed to have about the right amount of travel, and I re-adjusted anyways while I had them off. I know this may not be enough info to inquire for help, but I only had about an hour... so.

Sorry i don't have an answer for your issues.It looks like a very nice build you have there. I was just wondering if your headers are the 1 1/2 inch or the 1 5/8ths inch headers from sanderson. I'm having spark plug clearance issues with my 1 5/8ths headers.Again sorry for off topic