HybridZ

Rear Wheel Hub Spline Failure

Guest Carlissimo

Guest Carlissimo

Anyone had a rear wheel axle spline failure on a 240-Z ? Is it hard to replace the axle ?

I just got a noticable thumping and vibration on the left rear that is real bad when coasting, and goes away under power or braking. I was sure it was a U joint, but all three drive shafts seem tight (no radial play). I found about 1/2 inch of slop (measured at the tire) when the driveshaft is locked. The only thing it could be is loose splines on the axle. It must be real bad to have this much slop. Any suggestions ?

I've ruined 2 stub axles with the V8 car. You need a slidehammer to get the stub axle out. That's the right way to do it but since your replacing it anyway, you can drive it out with a sledgehammer. Just watch you don't mushroom the shaft so much that it doesn't fit through the bearings. You can use a used stub axle from another 240 but get a NEW locking nut. Good luck.

Joe

Guest Anonymous

Is that rotational slop? or in and out slop on the stub axle?. Before you weild the big gavel.... check the fit to make sure there is enough tightening tourque on the stub axle nut. I am a believer with much faith in the integrity of the Z oem parts even under adverse conditions

Guest Carlissimo

Rotational slop. I've been studying the manuals. The rotational slop I am seeing has to be really bad splines. I am not sure that this is the only problem though. The knocking noise sure sounded like a bad u-joint. bonk.gif

i had a problem like that it ended up being the ujoint. i pulled it apart and the cap wasnt broken bbut all the needle bearings inside were turned into a greyish paste shifty.gif one or two more good pulls and it would have broken

I would think the stub shaft would break before splines would be bad but im not sure

As stated above, the last thing you should check for the problem you describe are the stub axle and companion flange. But! If you don't know the condition of your wheel bearings, now is an excellent time to pull the stub axle and replace (not repack) the bearings.