HybridZ

Major tranny problem!

turbeau

i drove the car around the block to check the plugs. going about 20 mph in third gear the tranny started shaking badly and i put it in neutral. i couldnt put it back into gear so i pulled over.

with the car off and parked i tried to run through the gears with the clutch in. most were difficult to put in, some would not go in.

with the engine running no gears would go in, and reverse would just grind cause the engine was spinning.

when i would start the car in gear the tranny would shake really hard then start grinding and i would go back to neutral.

with the car in gear i rolled backwards and there was loud clunking sounds, sounded like from the differential. i looked underneath and i could not verify anything unusual.

had it put on a flatbed and towed back to my house. what do you think?

I think your clutch is not disengaging all the way. I had the same problem (minus shaking) and it was because my clutch slave cylinder was leaking and emptied the reservoir. Check all of the hydraulics and try topping it off and bleeding the system. I've also had the same problem when I got the incorrect height pressure plate from clutchnet.

when i rolled back in neutral there where no sounds, clutch resevoir is full but grimy, no clutch slippage previous to incident. tomorrow i will drop tranny and inspect. thanks for help so far

Well that eliminates any rear end trouble.

let us know how you made out. a couple of pics go a long way

"

i drove the car around the block to check the plugs. going about 20 mph in third gear the tranny started shaking badly and i put it in neutral. i couldnt put it back into gear so i pulled over. "

Hydraulics don't cause vibrations. Broken clutch discs can, but not hydraulics.

"

i drove the car around the block to check the plugs. Going about 20 mph in third gear the tranny started shaking badly and i put it in neutral. I couldnt put it back into gear so i pulled over. "

hydraulics don't cause vibrations. Broken clutch discs can, but not hydraulics.

+1

yeah that is what i hope, this weekend i will drop the tranny and open it up. if the disk did break maybe i torqued it down incorrectly? it is fairly new clutch (~3000? miles)

thanks agian for the looks and help, the Z community is great!

i opened the tranny and took the clutch off, and all the flywheel bolts were loose. one had come so far out it had hit the clutch disk. its my ignorant fault for not torqueing the bolts down properly when i installed it. what a homer.

the pilot bearing is messed up and i tried using the pull-out tool, but it didnt work. do you have any suggestions or tricks for getting a stubborn pilot bearing out?

i opened the tranny and took the clutch off, and all the flywheel bolts were loose. one had come so far out it had hit the clutch disk. its my ignorant fault for not torqueing the bolts down properly when i installed it. what a homer.

DOH!!!!!!!!!!!:icon52:

Very easy. Couple of ways. You could cut through the bushing with a thinned/modified hack saw blade.

If you have access to a slide hammer with a vice grip attatchment, you can insert a bolt head first, and cock it. It will wedge nicely. Give it a yank.