HybridZ

I cant TIG

AkumaNoZeta

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sort of... TIG uses an electric arc from a handpiece to melt the pieces being worked on where the arc touches down instead of using a flame.

If you're used to oxy/acet I hear TIG is simple to learn as many of the skills are similar, manuvering the fill rod for one, but where on Oxy/acet heat is controlled by moving the flame distance from the work to the light blue flame tip either into or out of the flame, TIG uses a foot or thumb control to increase or decrease cueent while arc distance remains constant.

• 5 months later...

I just thought I'd add a little update to this. I've done TIGing for like 3 weeks straight and now it's easier for me than MIG welding is, I just have so much more control of the TIG that I feel so much more comfortable with it now. Not to mention I love how you can hammer-weld the TIG beads when doing body work. The Henrob 2000 for oxy-acetylene torch is nice too, I think just because of it's versatility and price I would buy a Henrob as my first welding device whenever I have to start getting my own equipment. Just so everybody know, the Henrob is a lot easier than a Victor torch.

The MIG weld is too hard to hammer on, the TIG can be hammered on because it cools slower and therefore is a lot softer. Also since the MIG is hard, it's also brittle, making it very likely to crack.

Um.. I dunno about that statement..

a molten pool is a molten pool... I dont believe a MIG vs. TIG will "cool" faster or slower.

I can understand that a MIG introduces a lot of heat in a larger area, while the TIG introduces the same heat in a smaller area.. but a larger surface dissipating the heat will cool faster then a smaller area.

I think its the filler metal you use on the weld that determines how soft or hard the bead is.

*from my understanding*

Um.. I dunno about that statement..

a molten pool is a molten pool... I dont believe a MIG vs. TIG will "cool" faster or slower.

I can understand that a MIG introduces a lot of heat in a larger area, while the TIG introduces the same heat in a smaller area.. but a larger surface dissipating the heat will cool faster then a smaller area.

I think its the filler metal you use on the weld that determines how soft or hard the bead is.

*from my understanding*

I think you meaned just the other way around....:mrgreen: Change MIG/TIG in your story...

TIG punches heat into the material slower, generally. TIG is slower in general. With that, you have a larger amount of total heat in the TIG'ed part than MIG. The surface area is actually about the same; the entire part. Soon as you start putting heat into the surface, it starts transmitting it out to the whole part as well as radiating it off the part. With MIG, you are "in and out" much faster, so the rest of the part is generally not heated up much by the time you are done. Your weld area cools faster. That is why you can't TIG sheetmetal for a body. Too much heat, too much expansion, too much warp.